• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD5970 low fps in GTA 4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johny_boy

Hey guys,i have a problem,my fps on GTA 4 is very low even on low settings only 63 fps? wtf,on high setting 46 fps,and now on Very high setting ONLY 29 fps,and it microstutters very bad,my rig : i7 920 2.66 GHz,6 GB ram,HD5970,650W help me please

PS. This is my first post so Hi :D

Hey guys,i have a problem,my fps on GTA 4 is very low even on low settings only 63 fps? wtf,on high setting 46 fps,and now on Very high setting ONLY 29 fps,and it microstutters very bad,my rig : i7 920 2.66 GHz,6 GB ram,HD5970,650W help me please

:welcome:

That rig should handle that game...first off, have you updated your ATI drivers?

Also, don't beat yourself up...it seems that game is giving all kinds of people trouble right now.

Yes i have the newest drivers,maybe something else??
Thanks for the replay :)

Yes i have the newest drivers,maybe something else??
Thanks for the replay :)

I don't play this game, but it seems like it is acting a lot like BFBC2...both of these games are resource hogs. Yes, you need a good GPU to play them (yours is great) but they really make use of multiple fast cores.

Question. Have you, or are you interested in overclocking your CPU a bit? The i7 920 clock like crazy, I'm curious as to how much your FPS would change if you bumped her up to 3.0 or 3.2ghz. It seems your FPS are pretty average for this game at the speeds your currently running. I'm betting it's got nothing to do with your video card, I think the game just wants more power.

So you think that if i will overlock my CPU it will be fps boost but question how much fps boost,sorry for my bad English i am from Poland

So you think that if i will overlock my CPU it will be fps boost but question how much fps boost,sorry for my bad English i am from Poland

Honestly, I'm not sure. I don't have the game or I would test it myself. But thats what I would do, test it at 2.66ghz, then test it at 3.0ghz... and so on. See if that helps.

Oh, and don't worry about your English, it's better than many American's I know. :D

63 fps is pretty good. It's more than most monitors can display anyway. But that's on low so I see why you have a problem. If you are using the stock cooler ( I'm assuming you are because your at stock speeds) then buy a new one and clock your cpu to 3.2 or higher. I haven't played the game but my buddy has a similar rig and gets around 70 fps on high. His 920 is at 4.0 Ghz though and his 5970 is at 950 Mhz.

Also you might want to try disabling Crossfire..

That game really is very CPU-Intensive and Crossfire needs a lot of CPU time for work balancing.. Might at least give it a try.

Youglin why have to change stock cooler? this will help? because if i will buy new cooler and it will do nothing that will suck really bad

You need to oc your cpu to get the most out of the 5970 or any other high end card, 2.66GHz is choking your card, get it to 3.4GHz+ and your card will fly

You will need an aftermarket cooler to deal with the heatload that comes with overclocking... the stock cooler can't cope with it

make sure its updated as much as possible. they supposedly fixed the hardware requirement issues, but either way i would download memturbo4 to protect yourself from the memory leak glitch. (set the memory recovery level to like 100MB)

+1 more for OCing the cpu.
You should be able to get 3.2 to 3.4 on the stock cooler.
With an aftermarket cooler 3.6-4 is within reach.

@ Sandy. While having an after-market cooler is nice, it isn't a complete necessity. I'm not saying it won't help, nor am I saying he won't have horribly high temps with the stock cooler, but for testing purposes, the stock cooler will work just fine, IMO.

GTAIV is known for being poorly optimized. Horrible port. Heavy system requirements for mediocre graphics.

It's really not. The equivalent graphics settings on the consoles are less than 20% than that of the PC version. Please do some research to avoid misinforming others.

The game engine requires a lot of CPU horsepower but will run very smoothly on a mid range graphics card (such as a 4870) so long as it has a decently clocked quad core to back it up.

It's really not. The equivalent graphics settings on the consoles are less than 20% than that of the PC version. Please do some research to avoid misinforming others.

The game engine requires a lot of CPU horsepower but will run very smoothly on a mid range graphics card (such as a 4870) so long as it has a decently clocked quad core to back it up.

I'm pretty sure that is the definition of poorly optimized. Meaning poorly optimized for a computer (instead of a console) with as much, if not more, GPU horsepower than CPU horsepower.

Please do some research to avoid misinforming others.

Back