• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What kind of ram do I need?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have the Am2hd motherboard http://www.abit.com.tw/page/uk/moth...ail.php?pMODEL_NAME=AN-M2HD&fMTYPE=Socket AM2

Does this mean i need 800hz ddr2 for optimal performance?

i have 2gb (2x 1 gbs sticks) 667. Would i notice an upgrade to 4gb (2x2gb)?

You would see a small performance increase from DDr2 800...very small, in some cases less than 1%...at best 3%.

You might see a bit of an improvement from more RAM, but that all depends on what you do/play with your computer. If such application requires more than 2gb.

If I was you I would crank your 667 RAM up to 800 in the BIOS. I have yet to see a set of decent 667 not run 800.

You would see a small performance increase from DDr2 800...very small, in some cases less than 1%...at best 3%.

You might see a bit of an improvement from more RAM, but that all depends on what you do/play with your computer. If such application requires more than 2gb.

If I was you I would crank your 667 RAM up to 800 in the BIOS. I have yet to see a set of decent 667 not run 800.

I am not a computer wiz. I know how to change to 800 in bios. Is that all i do or change other options to overclock?

Well it may or may not work, if it doesn't that doesn't mean you did anything wrong. I would set it up to 800 and look around for some RAM voltage settings, I think 1.9v or maybe 2.0v should do the trick. Thats about it.

Well it may or may not work, if it doesn't that doesn't mean you did anything wrong. I would set it up to 800 and look around for some RAM voltage settings, I think 1.9v or maybe 2.0v should do the trick. Thats about it.

Thanks i don't know if it runs any faster. Its still like decent speed wise. I just think i would benefit a little more when i'm multi tasking.

Thanks i don't know if it runs any faster. Its still like decent speed wise. I just think i would benefit a little more when i'm multi tasking.

You can't really "feel" a difference in 667 vs. 800...or even 1600 for that matter, the only place you will see the difference is in some benchmark programs. For speed you can "feel" comes from CPUs, GPUs, and HDs. My 2 cents.

Back