• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7N8X Deluxe - Running Raid 1 Pata / Sata

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Liquid Fusion

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
Athlon 2200+ CPU 1.9GHz
FSB = 400MHz / CPU Freq = 200MHz / CPU Multiplier = 9.5
2GB GSkill DDR ram 400MHz
Onboard: Has 2 Firewire connectors / 2 SATA connectors

Can I run Raid1 with a PATA PCI 133 card at the same time as having the onboard Raid Sata enabled for my Asus A7N8x Deluxe MB? - seperate raids.

Didn't know board was A7N8X Deluxe board. Checked it visually: saw SataLink chip. Must be more than A7N8X board!! Saw Sata connectors. Have 2 WD 500GB HDD + Koutech PCI 133 Raid card to setup Raid1. This works only when A7N8x Deluxe MB Sata is jumpered off.

Background -

1. Koutech Pata PCI 133 Raid1 works only with Sata jumpered off.

2. Taking out Koutech Pata Raid card, jumpering on Sata - when booting, PC sees Sata controller, reports no Sata drives, then boots into Primary IDE Pata drive XPPro - all ok.

Koutech Raid Card installed, with Sata jumpered on - boot sees PCI Raid Card, onboard Sata Raid - and hangs and doesn't boot into XPPro. This happens even after uninstalling the Sata Raid Conroller driver then booting PC.

Looks like you have to have SATA disabled for the PCI RAID card to work.
The BIOS must be programmed to do this. Maybe try updating the BIOS from Asus's site and see if it gets rid of that feature.

Another thing is XP might not boot up because it doesn't have the RAID drivers for your IDE RAID card installed, so you might have to reinstall XP via the RAID card and it's drivers.

Thanks for reply. From reading here earlier, I saw turning off Sata jumpers might allow raid ide card to work. True. Removing IDE card, boot recognizes onbord SATA raid drivers, presence of no Sata Drives, then boots into XpPro ok. I'd like to boot into XPPro with the Raid IDE card in place and Sata jumpered on. This would allow Raid1 Pata PCI / HDD card, and Raid0 Sata HDD.

Maybe it's asking too much. Tried upgrading BIOS with 1010-B.bin: got "file size does not match." That's when I thought this was a plain A7N8X board!! A7N8X Deluxe has different bios upgrades. Risk is ruining a working MB. Keeping options open.

Back