• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

(Veloci)Raptor RAID?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PWatterson

Hello everyone.

I've been running two 74gb Raptors in RAID for awhile, but recently one of them went bad. WD sent me back a 74gb VelociRaptor.

Is is still possible to RAID 0 these two? I know you generally need the same model hard drives and all, but I was hoping this could work, as I am not quite ready to jump into SSDs yet. I did a little poking around google and could not find anything definitive.

Old Raptor: WD740GD-00FLC0 Sep '05
New Raptor: WD740HLFS-01G6U1 May '10

Hello everyone.

I've been running two 74gb Raptors in RAID for awhile, but recently one of them went bad. WD sent me back a 74gb VelociRaptor.

Is is still possible to RAID 0 these two? I know you generally need the same model hard drives and all, but I was hoping this could work, as I am not quite ready to jump into SSDs yet. I did a little poking around google and could not find anything definitive.

Old Raptor: WD740GD-00FLC0 Sep '05
New Raptor: WD740HLFS-01G6U1 May '10

You might try calling WD back and explaining the situation. I've heard they will sometimes exchange both drives for people running matching stuff in RAID even if the other drive didn't go bad.

You might try calling WD back and explaining the situation. I've heard they will sometimes exchange both drives for people running matching stuff in RAID even if the other drive didn't go bad.

Good call!

I did just that, and they are replacing my working drive with another Velociraptor. :D :attn:

There was a post the other day about Western Digital and whether or not they were good or not. HDs die..all brands, but that is pretty sweet of WD to hook you up like that. It's things like this that keep me buying from WD.

Good Stuff!

Back