• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows versus OEM resolution problem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hookem

I have an old Dell Latitude C840 laptop. After Boot n Nuking the hard drive I did a fresh install of Windows XP Professional. Downloaded all the drivers from Dell.

With the native drivers that come with XP I can change the resolution and the screen is filled. After installing the nVidia GeForce4 440 Go drivers when I change the resolution the screen size changes not giving me the whole screen.

I am assuming it is something simple. Any ideas ???

yah, i think it's called nowadays - "adjust desktop size and position". it's in nvidia control panel under display.

also, some dell laptops have "full screen" or "native" (or something like that) switch in bios.

Yeah I have been all over the BIOS and Control Panel > Display and the nVidia controls.

Guess I will try to find some other nVidia driver. Weird what it is doing. The first flash of XP is full screen then when it goes into Windows the screen sized shrinks.

Getting some warning about it wanting to be in 1600x1200. Too blind for all that business.

Back to searching for different nVidia drivers.

Thanks for the reply.

Since it's a DELL laptop then you may need to go to dell website and download the right drivers for that specific laptop model. Just like the HD3450 GPU in dell optiplex series don't really work well with the drivers downloaded from ATI website.

The drivers from Dell are the first ones that I tried. They also have a video BIOS update which I have also done.

I just found a different GeForce4 440 Go driver and will give it a whirl.

Updating the video BIOS did not change anything in the BIOS that I can see anyway. I will take some screen shots and post them.

Really frustrating. Cannot believe how much time I have spent trying to get this right.

A lot of laptops won't stretch to fill the screen. You might have to increase the res to fill the screen, or live with it not filling.

My friend has a Toshiba laptop that does that. At anything below the max res of the screen, it doesn't fill the screen.

Back