• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair RAM BIOS values

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rise25

I know this question has been asked like 100 times in various forms, but please humor me as I want to get everything stable as it is for someone else. I am building a computer for my father for his birthday and am not trying to OC the CPU or anything, I would just like to get the RAM up to specifications. The relevant specs are:

CPU: Intel i7 930
CPU Cooler: Prolimatech Megahalems w/ Gentle Typhoon AP-15
Motherboard: P6X58D
PSU: Corsair 650HX
Video Card: ATI 5570
RAM: Corsair XMS DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
SSD: Intel X-25M 160GB
HD: WD Caviar Blue 640GB 7200rpm
Case: Lian Li PC8-FIB w/ Scythe S-flex "E" case fans (49 CFM)

In an effort to get the timings and speed up to par I have made the following BIOS adjustments:

bclck: 133 (standard)
PCIE freq: 100 (standard)
DRAM freq: 1600
CPU voltage: 1225v
CPU PLL: 1.86v
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage: 1.25v
DRAM BUS Voltage: 1.64v
CR: 1T
All others: AUTO

My attempt was to keep the DRAM under 1.65v and within .5v of QPI. I have also read that QPI and CPU voltage should be within .03v. I am going for stability and longevity here (remember it is for my dad who is turning 65). He is fairly computer savy, but not to this extent. After running Prime95 for 15 minutes I get a peak (load) temp of 72 deg. C, and an idle temp of ~40-44 deg. C. The idle temp seems a bit high I admit, it jumped from around 39 deg. C (when the RAM was at all auto settings and 1033 Mhz). It is summer so I would guess ambient is around 26-27 deg. C. In short, does this look OK or am I in trouble? I would hate to have something die after I give him the computer.

The only RAM related setting you should really need to change is Ai Overclock Tuner--> XMP. This should automatically change the DRAM frequency to 1600MHz, DRAM voltage and SPD / EPP timings to their default / rated values, and possibly increase QPI/DRAM Core voltage to compensate for the higher frequency.

Really? I have heard lots of people suggest to stay away from the X.M.P. profile as it may change some other things to cause the system not to work (they suggest the manual setting). In mine it changes the DRAM Voltage to 1.66v (which appears to be debated whether this is actually a problem for i7 chips) and the QPI to around 1.35v. This is within the accepted range but appears to be a bit high on the high side for the BIOS's liking. Some people say higher values will also limit the system's lifetime, but I have never really heard anyone having a system or component die on them due to slightly higher voltages values. Is this more theoretical guessing or does this actually happen?

Your board should do fine using XMP. ASUS usually does very well with implementing XMP profiles.

As far as longevity, ANY deviation from Intel specifications on voltage above the rated specifications can potentially shorten the lifespan of the CPU. This is a choice you must make if you decide to overclock.

Back