• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mystery: Sony's claim of TRIM for RAID 0 on z1290

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Carmien

Here's some background:
- I wanted to buy the new z1290 laptop from Sony
- I asked if TRIM was supported with RAID 0. Rep said yes
- I ordered
- I then got shown an article where Intel retracts TRIM support on RAID specifically
- I phoned Sony, forwarded the article
- Rep looked into this; Sony US Product Compliance are adamant. Their claim is that they're using a prioprietary chipset and SSD solution (Toshiba drives)
- Rep has promised something in writing.

Now to today; when I get this laptop I've got to confirm that TRIM is active. However, when I test the following command on my desktop (that has RAID HDDs) I get this:
- run (as admin)
- fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify
- If the result is '0' TRIM is enabled.

My problem is I get 0 as a returned result. I could guess, but my problem is that if I can't trust this command to tell me TRIM is working when I get a false return on another RAID system without SSDs I've got a problem.

Help?

If you would like to get technical, that prompt only tells you whether or not Windows is sending TRIM commands to the drives. Since them being in RAID is affected by the chipset more than the OS, I would assume that even with Windows sending commands, they don't reach the drives in order to TRIM the drives.

Thank you for clarifying that.

Now the question becomes, how can I validate that TRIM is active with a system where the SSDs are in RAID?

Sony is making a very strong claim that they've changed the game on this. For the past year everyone, including Intel, is saying it ain't so. Toshiba drives and garbage collection aside I'd love a way to prove TRIM is working.

Ideas?

To be honest, just about the only way to "prove" TRIM is enabled would be to make sure the drives support it, make sure windows is sending operations and then to methodically benchmark the drives as set intervals. If there is no decrease in performance when the same amount of data is on the array, it is just a longer time, then I would bet it's enabled.

Thanks for the answer. I'm not that surprised.

On the plus side, TRIM is looking a little less relevant. Extensive testing for the z series is showing that some trickery is being used to make sure the SSD drives maintain their efficiency over time as the drive fills up.

However, I'm still going to push Sony for an 'official' answer.

Back