• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This is why I love the Antec 1200. (12 SATA Devices)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AudiMan

10 hard drives
1 SSD
1 Optical Drive
1 Memory Card Reader

I love it!! I'm not very good at keeping cables tidy either, but this case really helps hide the 12 sata cables and power connectors!

Not to mention my Gigabyte GAX58A-UD3R that has 4 onboard SATA controllers, which have no issues at all with my RocketRaid 2640X4!

(Next step is the LSI 9260-4/8i)

IMG_0657.JPG

IMG_0658.JPG

IMG_0659.JPG

Last edited:
I would say fileserver, but the massive heatsink leads me to believe it isn't a low TDP processor. Probably it's his main rig doubling as a file server.

It does look like a fileserver... it doesn't have much by the way of IO coming into the back.

Maybe he just put a giant HS on it to make it quiet?

Bet that thing weighs a ton...

Yeah it's my main rig. i7 920 @ 4GHz.

It's my movie collection mostly 1080p, pics, MP3's, and general file storage, etc.
I also do a lot of encoding, etc, transferring files, extracting from one drive to another, blah blah.

6 X 1TB Seagate 7200.12's in RAID0. One 500MB partition for scratch drive. (ICH10R)

4 X 2TB WD Greens in RAID0, one 1TB partition for scratch drive, 7TB for backup.

I also have a few WDTV Live media players that I use to stream video from it.

I don't really need 10 hard drives, I just like the speed of multiple hard drives in RAID0. I know it's not the most secure way of doing things, but I do a lot of encoding, etc and I have an external backup in case one drive from each RAID0 array decides to fail at the same time.

But it's mostly for speed. I'm a nut, I know. Just hate the slowness of hard drives.

And yes,,, it weighs a ton!

Plus those 1TB Seagates are cheap now. I got two for $65 each, on sale the other day.

Great, now i feel like i can fill this 1TB hard drive up easily.

Though, as much as i'm downloading movies and music from Zune lately, that's really possible. Lol.

I've got 12 HDDs too not including SSDs. 1 is my music pictures etc. and the other 11 are uncompressed movies.

I can't fit em all in my PC though, sure wish I could. If I swapped everything to 2TB I'd be able to or come close at least.

It's nice to see people (more people) doing file redundancy. I see so many people spending $2000/4000$ + on rigs and they never mention backups.

However, what you got going on is a complete nightmare. I could never imagine using my gaming box to serve also as a file server. Just my opinion of course.

Maybe some down the road look into a stand alone device. Check out QNAP! They are an up and coming company that build Nas systems which are now using AJAX interface.

http://www.qnap.com/pro_detail_feature.asp?p_id=104

Back