• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer just goes black screen after boot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rumbl3

(UPDATE) I just popped in my ubuntu 9.10 disk and tried running that off the cd works fine. I'm at the desktop right now everything runs. Haven't tried putting anything on the hard drive yet but i did access it and no errors or nothing everythign is still there. I put in the windows 7 transformation pack (made by same peopel who did the vista one thats on the windows freebies section) Could maybe that or something just gone wrong with the file system and that's why it wont load at all??? I've been itching to try out ubuntu 10.04 anyway lol so maybe this is a sign. I also tried to do windows safe mode gonna try my xp disk in a minute. Eh just so sick of loading xp tho, lol download million patches should of made a newer updated windows xp disk oh well so tired of million hour install because i need a million things to get running lol.

Well this morning i get up and hope on my computer. Start it up like normal makes its normal beep etc bios shows all the parts blah blah blah. Then when it's supposed to go to the windows loading screen it just does nothing but black screen.

I've tried differetn monitor differet vga ports on the video card even tried the onboard video. Nothing at all. It just does the same thing with the regular video card i get bios ons creen them bam nothing. With the onboard video with both monitors i get nothing at all don't even see the bios stuff loading.

So no clue here i down clocked my machine everything. When i took a peek in the bios on my monitor all components and stuff are listed like normal.

Any word of advice? Maybe the mobo is toast? I don't think its the video because its just werid that onboard would not even start either.

Ehhhhh two computers in two months taken a crap on me lol.

Last edited:
So, works with Ubuntu Live CD and does not boot Windows off the HDD?

Nope but i can access the hd from linux live cd. I just copied a file off there. Was going to make a copy of my lotro file so i can keep that. just kinda waiting to see if anyone has a suggestion if my windows is corrupt wonder if there is a way to fix it. I really do not want o reinstall xp. Linux is faster to install lol but setting up lotro is a pain. guess its a lose lose lol.

When in Ubuntu (form Live CD), try
Code:
sudo apt-get install smartcontrolmon
sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda
(1st installs the package, 2nd prints out S.M.A.R.T. info)
This will give an idea whether or not the disk has physical problems. If it does, you will know you need a new one soon. If it does not, I suggest you try moving the (important) files over to another disk, and then try to "repair" Windows installation (through Windows install disk)

I already reinstalled windows lol just downloading lotro again eh 3 hours... But other then that i'm basicly done. Drivers etc. Thing is running fine. I think something just was corrupted. Tried repairing didn't work so i said hell with it.

Perhaps, you still want to look at SMART of your HDD .. to see whether corruption was accidental / caused by software or it is aging hardware (HDD in this case) related.

Back