• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about OCZ brand power supplies

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hisokeee

Registered
so my friends crappy coolermaster 600watt is failing his pc, i know coolermaster isnt a good brand so that explains why that happened. SO now he needs a new psu, but hes kinda budget limited. http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=35456&vpn=OCZ700MXSP&manufacture=OCZ Technology&promoid=1034 this is the one i see pretty interesting, but i dont know how accurate ocz brand delivers their specifications.

My friend has a core2duo e8400 and he wants to oc to 4ghz, a gtx 280 and 4gb DDR2 ram with one hard drive. i would think this is enough power, but it just seems way too cheap in my opinion lol.

i have the 650w version and i haven't had any problems at all but i know there not recommended
its running the rig in my sig

With the hardware he's running, he doesn't need nearly that big a psu. He can run a 520-550 watt psu with no problem and if you want to give him some expansion headroom, look at the 650 watt models. And OCZ is definitely not on top of my "go to" list for power supplies. Instead of that one, I would suggest looking at the following:

Corsair TX650W - $99.99 with Savings Code 26414-1034 and a $20 MIR. This price is good until 7/13/10. Seasonic built. I have been using one of these to power my main system for 2 years, which consists of a QX9650, GTX260/216 and 2 hard drives and 9 fans.

Antec Earthwatts 650W - $91.44, Delta built and another good choice.

Antec Earthwatts 750W - $109.99, not sure who builds this one for Antec but it won't be a tosser. Also has a $20 MIR on it.

Seasonic M12II 520W - $99.99. Seasonic built (obviously) and has modular cables, which is nice for cable management.

All of those are a much better choice IMO than OCZ, whose power supply selection have been kind of chancy at times.

With the hardware he's running, he doesn't need nearly that big a psu. He can run a 520-550 watt psu with no problem and if you want to give him some expansion headroom, look at the 650 watt models. And OCZ is definitely not on top of my "go to" list for power supplies. Instead of that one, I would suggest looking at the following:

Corsair TX650W - $99.99 with Savings Code 26414-1034 and a $20 MIR. This price is good until 7/13/10. Seasonic built. I have been using one of these to power my main system for 2 years, which consists of a QX9650, GTX260/216 and 2 hard drives and 9 fans.

Antec Earthwatts 650W - $91.44, Delta built and another good choice.

Antec Earthwatts 750W - $109.99, not sure who builds this one for Antec but it won't be a tosser. Also has a $20 MIR on it.

Seasonic M12II 520W - $99.99. Seasonic built (obviously) and has modular cables, which is nice for cable management.

All of those are a much better choice IMO than OCZ, whose power supply selection have been kind of chancy at times.

I believe Delta is the OEM on the Antec EW 750, I agree with Mudd as far as OCZ, Not garbage but you can do better, Also, I would read this thread in regard to their customer service before making any OCZ purchase and then decide if you feel they are indeed a worthy choice.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=633628

My 650TX is about to hit the Classies tonight as well.....Not sure if he can see the classifieds though...

If you're buying that PSU get it from here it's on sale and comes with a rebate.

Here's a really good PSU at 650W

By looking at his linked psu, I surmised that he is from upper Canuckistan (Canada), hence me using NCIX to price the power supplies. ;)

My 650TX is about to hit the Classies tonight as well.....Not sure if he can see the classifieds though...

Not enough posts and an email address that doesn't qualify for Classifieds Access.

[Threadjack] You need to have an ISP email just to see the classies? I browse them all the time and I have my gmail account registered. I have an available email I could change it to if need be, but I've never had trouble just viewing.[/threadjack]

Back on topic. You could try and find a nice psu on ebay. I used ebay to get my NIB Kingwin Lazer 750 for $75. Great deal on this psu TBH.

thanks for your input guys, i just told him to go for the best with the corsair 650watt, though its 20 dollars more and doesn't give a free 10 dollar gift card like the ocz does, it will do a better job lol, so we got the corsair today.

Read the customer reviews for the power supply and see how they are. If other buyers have had good experiences with that OCZ psu, theres a good chance your friend will too. Don't just fork over an extra wad of cash just because a fanboy recommended it. GOD FORBID your friend actually be satisfied with a psu thats not corsair/antec/seasonic

Back