• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Barracuda XT or WD Black 2TB /sata6

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NGL_BrSH

I have a Gigabyte board that supports the newest sata interface at 6.0g

I know nothing will come close to using that speed..

Curious if anyone can find comparisons of The 2 TB seagate barracuda XT with sata6 vs the 2 TB WD Black that is sata 3g

They are essentially the same price and my board supports the new format I wonder which is a better choice. I hear great things about the black as far as reliability. It also has dual processors (whatever the heck that does for me).

All facts and opinions welcome. :)

I found these two reviews both written in Q4 2009 by legitreviews:
Seagate Baracuda XT 2TB
WD Caviar Black 2TB

Based on HD Tach, WD Black has a 5ms faster access time and 7MB/s faster avg write.
Based on HD Tune, WD Black has a 5ms faster access time and 70MB/s faster burst rate.

In my opinion, the SATAIII interface means absolutely nothing as of now (just marketing), I think one SSD actually needs SATAIII.

i would go with the wd black
the crucial c300 supports sata III as well

SATA III for HDD setups isn't required.
I'd go with the WD Black.
Until Seagate smartens up and uses the same 4gb SLC NAND on their 3.5" drives, it looks like they just can't compete with the WD Black series. This is the second series in which the WD Black has them beat (7200.11 and 7200.12). Same goes for their notebook line too, only the Momentus XT has anyone really excited. 7200.3 and 7200.4 weren't all that great.

are these drives faster than wd velociraptor ones?

Without knowing anything about the drives; absolutely not.

Companies can tack on all the worthless stuff they want and dump how ever many figures of marketing in to their "new" drives they want but at the end of the day all those NOS stickers do nothing to help that motor spin faster.

SATA III is good though. Maybe only one drive can do it, but I bet two could do it faster. :)

Back