• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead Monitor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dyckah

hey, my second monitor(Samsung Syncmaster 932B Plus) appears to have died, but its strange, while its hooked up to the computer, there is no picture, but my computer can tell it is there.
if you turn the monitor off, then back on, it displays the picture for 2-3 seconds, then goes to black again.
any idea why it is doing this, and how i might be able to fix it?

oh, actually, i can see the adustment menu if i turn the lights on, and shine a flashlight at the monitor. adjusting the brightness all the way down does nothing to help.
dying backlight cause that?
i saw something online about someone saying to check for an exploded capacitor in the monitor, might an exploded cap be the cause of this?

oh, actually, i can see the adustment menu if i turn the lights on, and shine a flashlight at the monitor. adjusting the brightness all the way down does nothing to help.
dying backlight cause that?
i saw something online about someone saying to check for an exploded capacitor in the monitor, might an exploded cap be the cause of this?

If the capacitor is in the power circuitry for the backlight, it certainly could. That circuit or the backlight itself is almost certainly the culprit.

kk, cool, time to take it apart i suppose.
anyone got any ideas how it comes apart? there is no visible screws on the outside of the monitor that i can see...

edit: took the thing apart, there appears to be a couple caps that are bulging, and i think would need replacing.
on them it says 25V 820uF... i should be able to goto my local electronics store, and get two 25V 820uF capacitors, and solder them in, correct?

Last edited:
It might be a good idea to use a DMM to check the voltage at the backlight and then do a backtrace if indicated before replacing any components. While bulging caps are likely marginal, they might be only part of a cascading failure.

Back