• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New CPU/mobo/ $600 limit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

decoste007xt

Hey, I've done some reading in the intel forums of course and I've used intel my entire life so far, which I guess isn't so long considering my first build was a E6600, then a Q6600, now a i5 750. My specs are in my signature but incase their off this is what they are.

Corsair D800
Gigabyte P55A-UD4P 1156
i5 750 @ 4.2GHz
Coolmaster V8
G.Skill 2GB x 2 ECO 1600mhz Ram, 9-9-9-24 @ 1.35V
x2 XFX 5770 @ stock
2x 500GB WD 7200 Drives
x1 LG DVD+RW

I'm going to be upgrading my girlfriends PC because she was a big BF1942 and 2142 fan and wants to play Bad Company 2 and a few other titles like Fallout 3, eventually Vegas and Metro 2033, her specs are as follows.

E6600
ASUS P5E
2x2GB DDR2
750W Corsair
3870 ( i think)
TT Armor fulltower
x2 1TB 7200 RPM drives

I was originally going to buy an i7 920 and drop my board/cpu in her machine and then use the E6600 was a media server. However I'm kind of looking at an AMD solution, however I don't really know a good board to go along with it as well as I'm not up on AMD tech and whether or not I should keep my i5 750, and drop an AMD in her machine.. or drop the i5 in her machine and pickup an i7.

I do a fair bit of gaming, but I use a lot of 3d software and video encoding/editing. I was looking at the 1090T Thuban or the 1055T, about $100 difference from where I shop. I haven't own an AMD and I feel compelled to give it a shot, but in the same breath I don't want to pick one up if their getting owned in the high-end range.. that being said if the i5 750 would stand out with the applications I use I would still probably consider dropping it in her machine because she's going to mostly use it for games, and light video editing.

Normally I do tons of research , and I've done a bit.. but I like the opinions of the community, especially towards AMD because I haven't used one myself.

Oh and as in the title, $600 limit for now.

If you want a mobo/cpu combo for $600 there is an Asus Maximus III with an i7-860 for $596

There's also the same mobo but with an i7-875k

Hopefully I read your title right.

No you read it perfectly, thanks. I'll look it up!

In order of best to worst for this price range(my opinions, Personally I would take the giga over the Asus):

Aye, I had 3 asus boards, then i went for a Giga, it seems just as robust and classy as an ASUS.. but its like .. $80-100 cheaper usually when i look around! Gigabyte rocks.

cant decide

Im getting to the point where it is time to pull the trigger and order the parts and I am more confused than when i started, you can find all kinds of questions i been asking in diffrent places thru out the forums.

I need to decide wether AMD or Intel lets start with what i am going to do

1. gaming I like playing FPS and and a certian unmentioned MMO I like all the eye candy and highest frame rates i can get.

2. I will also be doing webdesign, using after effects, photoshop, and flash the whole adobe suite

3. I will also be doing alot of DVD encoding

here is where I am at, I am debating on a I7 1336 platform using 2.8 930 I7 or going with the AMD Phenom 2 X 6 , which creates another delimia
is the 1090t worth 100 bux more than the 1055?

I am hanging on to my 2 xfx alpha dog 8800gts till tax time so all I am looking to replace now is CPU, MOBO, and ram. The intel is going to cost about $150 to $250. but I am hearing the intel is outrageous but is the amd just as out rageous? this upgraed is going to have to last 4-5 years so is the triple channel ram, 3.0 usb and 6.0 SATA really going to be that important

I have narrowed the the amd board down to http://www.newegg.com/Product/NewProduct.aspx?Item=N82E16813131636
just for the fact it is hard to find a AMD board with SLI especially a am3 socket

if i go with intel I like the EVGA http://www.newegg.com/Product/NewProduct.aspx?Item=N82E16813188046

what system is going to give me the most upgrade and bang for the buck and please feel free to recommend a less expensive board if it more bang for the buck thx

I am not going to have alot of money for cooling so watercooled is out of the question and stock cooling will have to do for awhile

Im getting to the point where it is time to pull the trigger and order the parts and I am more confused than when i started, you can find all kinds of questions i been asking in diffrent places thru out the forums.

I need to decide wether AMD or Intel lets start with what i am going to do

1. gaming I like playing FPS and and a certian unmentioned MMO I like all the eye candy and highest frame rates i can get.

2. I will also be doing webdesign, using after effects, photoshop, and flash the whole adobe suite

3. I will also be doing alot of DVD encoding

here is where I am at, I am debating on a I7 1336 platform using 2.8 930 I7 or going with the AMD Phenom 2 X 6 , which creates another delimia
is the 1090t worth 100 bux more than the 1055?

I am hanging on to my 2 xfx alpha dog 8800gts till tax time so all I am looking to replace now is CPU, MOBO, and ram. The intel is going to cost about $150 to $250. but I am hearing the intel is outrageous but is the amd just as out rageous? this upgraed is going to have to last 4-5 years so is the triple channel ram, 3.0 usb and 6.0 SATA really going to be that important

I have narrowed the the amd board down to http://www.newegg.com/Product/NewProduct.aspx?Item=N82E16813131636
just for the fact it is hard to find a AMD board with SLI especially a am3 socket

if i go with intel I like the EVGA http://www.newegg.com/Product/NewProduct.aspx?Item=N82E16813188046

what system is going to give me the most upgrade and bang for the buck and please feel free to recommend a less expensive board if it more bang for the buck thx

I am not going to have alot of money for cooling so watercooled is out of the question and stock cooling will have to do for awhile

If you think you can get new a intel (or Amd parts for that matter) cpu, mobo and ram for $150-250 dollars, you are out of your mind. I think you might have meant each....

Mean numbers on intel would be $300-cpu, $200-250-mobo and then $150-200-ram. Amd would be pushing $300 for the 1090 cpu, $150 for the board you mentioned, and since it's dual channel, ~$150 for the ram. And that's top end ram.

no I meant about $150-$250 diffrence between a amd and intel over all im looking to spend between $550 -to $650 total,
decoste I didnt mean to hijack your post I meant to start a new thread, sorry about that although we are both about in the same boat

Somewhat of the same boat, except I change my paddles every 8-12months. I don't need mine to last forever, and dual and triple channel don't seem to have much difference thats physically noticeable when gaming. But even at a 8-12 month swapp-a-roo I like a lot of horsepower, but optimal horsepower at that. I won't blow the money on a 980X but I'll certainly blow it on a 920 or a 930 and overclock the crap out of it. I like buying the mainstream or middle guy and surpassing those $1000 beasts just by OCing. I hoped to do the same if I go AMD, why I'm thinking the 1055 is the same as a 1090 its just clocked lower?

Another big reason I was considering a new buildup was because I can't seem to OC my 5770's at all. But I may of just found out why.. this might of been common knowledge but it wasn't to me.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2832/19

the built on PCIe controller overclocks with the Bclk which is OCing the videocards technically? which is why when I try to OC my 5770's they seem to get unstable, does that sound plausable?

Last edited:
The more i snoop around the more I'm not really noticing a huge difference between the 1090T and the i5 750. I'm not saying one is better (even though I see the i5 750 requires less power and has a small gain, I bet the 1090T overclocks to surpass it, as well as I like the idea of how it shuts off cores). I wouldn't see it worth the price to go from a i5 750 to a 1090T or even a i7 920 right now as the performance gain isn't enough to make me take the jump. A lot of the games and apps I look at would gain slightly, and well a hex core sounds sweet ( I saw it shave an extra minute off of render time! sweeet!). I don't think its too viable right now.

However that being said I still need to upgrade her E6600, I'm thinking..

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=52066&promoid=1026

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=52043

$409 bundle with free shipping, might try a Noctua or a H50 (she likes quiet computers). Also can you put DDR2 in the AM3 boards ? Dumb question but I heard the AM3's would work with DDR2 I thought. Just something temporary while I order the ram that's all, as I have DDR2 already.

The 1090T is the black edition though which has unlocked multipliers, you can still OC both cards but you'd have a chance of getting a higher OC out of the 1090T

The 1090T is the black edition though which has unlocked multipliers, you can still OC both cards but you'd have a chance of getting a higher OC out of the 1090T
ONly if he is HTT limited on the board...otherwise its no different really.

The hex from AMD is also a fine choice and should show more life as more time passes and applications/games can make use of all htose physical cores. Even with that said, Id rather get an i5 750 or i7 860 if you need the HT now.

Also can you put DDR2 in the AM3 boards ? Dumb question but I heard the AM3's would work with DDR2 I thought. Just something temporary while I order the ram that's all, as I have DDR2 already.

You'd need DDR3 for either platform

The hex from AMD is also a fine choice and should show more life as more time passes and applications/games can make use of all htose physical cores. Even with that said, Id rather get an i5 750 or i7 860 if you need the HT now.

Yeah, right now its fairly price dependant, I can always drop my i5 in her system and go out and hunt for an i7. In 2-3weeks time when I place my order i'll see what the sales are like, I often order from ncix.com, pricematch, and check their ebay outlet. Can nab a i7 920 for $250 usually.

Or possibly get the 1055T & Gigabyte mobo combo for $410 shipped.. and then just build my WCing kit for my i5 750..eehehehehehe.. and a SSD =)

Last edited:
Eh, nothing against your plans, but isn't the limiting factor of that rig the GPU?

The 6600 (overclocked) should still have enough power to play all those game IMO.

Back