• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED BSOD with 8GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jorvis

Registered
I just built a system using the ASUS M4A89GTD PRO motherboard.
CPU: AMD Phenom II 955
Memory: OCZ Reaper HPC 2GB sticks x4
Running: Windows 7 64bit Pro

Whenever I have all 4 sticks of memory installed I get a BSOD at Windows startup. I will get a BSOD every single time until I remove a stick of RAM. After I remove a stick the computer boots just fine. The strange thing is the fact that it doesn't matter which of the 4 sticks I remove or from which of the slots I remove it from. Another strange thing is the fact that with all 4 sticks installed I can still pass memtest and prime95 without any errors.

The only overclocking I've done was setting the memory to 1600 instead of 1333 and changing the timing to what was labeled on the specifications. Although even when I change the settings back to default I still can't boot.

I've reinstalled Windows but haven't tried a 32bit architecture because I don't have one. (I bought the college discount upgrade which only contains x64)

My Video card is a 9800GT which I am using from my last build. It worked fine in my last build.

The only thing I can think of is that either the Motherboard has some type of defect or limitation that won't allow all my memory.

Anyone experience something similar before?

(I'm new to these forums so I'm hoping I posted this question in the right spot. If not. then I'm sorry.)

Last edited:
Well the timings and voltages that are stated on the package are generally for 2 sticks, not 4. Sometimes you cant get 4 sticks to work at the advertised speeds. Are you running at 1600 or 1333? What timings/voltages?

I was running it at 1600 8-8-8 1.65 V which is what the package states. However I am now running it with everything set to AUTO. So the memory is currently 1333 9-9-9 2T 1.5 V.

Although I did not realize that the specifications on the package was for 2 sticks so that is useful information.

Ok, I know I said I had my memory at 1.65 V but now I think that might have been wrong. I think my problem was likely due to under voltage. I put all sticks of memory into the computer and set the voltage to 1.65 V instead of AUTO and now everything seems to be working well.

NOTE: the actual voltage was 1.5 V while I was having the issue.

Yeah I never put any voltage or timings to auto, I always manually set it. Also if you are still having some trouble, try bumping up the CPU voltage very slightly.

Back