• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you use SSD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Saturation rate of SSD

• I currently use SSD

Votes: 43 60.6%
  • I have intentions to use SSD

Votes: 8 11.3%
  • No, not at this time

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • Other, please specify

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Mechanical drives for life!

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not currently, however I would like too. My only issue is that it wears out and you just can't "use it" all the time for everyday tasks. TRIM helps, but all that money for a guaranteed tragedy. Mechanical drives still have their place in the world. Yes, they die too, however, being larger and cheaper has a better value to most people these days. I can use them as intended and they will not get slower from reading and writing to the drive. Drives in RAID 0 can speed up the over performance of the system for a lower cost.

I have one at present for review. After toying with this one for a little bit, I completely agree - it's the single best upgrade you can perform on a modern computer for everyday performance. They're awful for benching (don't deal well with crashes, so I've heard), but for 24/7 rigs they're very nice if you can swing the cash.

My only issue is that it wears out and you just can't "use it" all the time for everyday tasks. TRIM helps, but all that money for a guaranteed tragedy.

Care to enlighten us on this ? I was going to get a SSD but I heard something about SSD's deteriorating fast, but I wasn't sure..

Care to enlighten us on this ? I was going to get a SSD but I heard something about SSD's deteriorating fast, but I wasn't sure..

You mean "enlighten you." LOL

Maybe someone could answer this guy with a more educated answer as I don't use SSD's. I don't want to give incorrect information about some of the short falls of SSD.

I really would like to get a small SSD for my gaming drive. It would speed up load times in WoW when multiboxing significantly. Until then I'll continue to use my 7200rpm mechanical drives.

I can use them as intended and they will not get slower from reading and writing to the drive. Drives in RAID 0 can speed up the over performance of the system for a lower cost.

A good SSD with TRIM should not see an appreciable decline in performance with read/writes over time, however a mechanical drive will. You also mention a guaranteed tragedy at the end. A current gen SSD will last far longer than its useful life with normal usage. In addition, unlike with a mechanical drive there will be no tragedy at the end. Once the nand is used up it will still be readable & you can move your data to a new storage device unlike losing everything when tour mechanical drive suddenly craps out.

A raid 0 setup is also inherently far less reliable & will not necessarily get you the same performance. In all likelihood it will be slower.

I have 2 SSD's

I have an OCZ Vertex 120GB which I use for OS and games that i play online, and a few apps, I love my Vertex, It loads quickly and transfers nicely also. I love my vertex, because it is blazing fast compared to my 7200rpm drives, It delivers constant performance even under relentless conditions.

I also have an Imation M-Class 64GB that I use for Adobe Master Collection, and non-online games. At first I really DESPISED this thing. I installed my OS on it, and it was HORRIBLE. Not to mention if you try to transfer files the drive because almost unresponsive. Transfer rates and load times are still extremely fast compared to my 7200RPM HDDs. I do not recommend this as an OS disk, but if you are a budget gamer, or use the adobe programs and can't wait for the program to load, this SSD is okay. It is a low end SSD, and I got it on a newegg shell shocker for about $120.

If you use an SSD I highly recommend this product made by Icy Dock. It is a 2.5" converter for your 3.5" HDD holders. It works really well, and is extremely easy to use, even in tool-less cases. It is worth every penny for its convenience, it looks nice also! Seriously. Get it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994064

I use 2 SSD's. One for the OS and the other to store applications.

Garbage Collection is supported on OCZ SSD's for Raid0 and works just as good if not better than TRIM. The problem with GC is that it can create excessive writes. In order to prevent that, I do not have the PC go into the idle states it needs to execute (even though there is no need for that move). I manually sit in the bios every couple of weeks or so to get her back into shape. yes, BOTH my drives support TRIM and I intentionally flashed to GC.

As far as lifespan, its really a non issue with any modern SSD. Read up on that as far as how long it would take with 10GB of data transfers (which is REALLY REALLY high for an OS drive) / day would take to kill the drive (put it this way, you will want another drive twice over and then some before it dies).

READ PLEASE: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/the-ssd-failure-debate/1342

Yang said a pattern could be perpetually repeated in which a 64GB SSD is completely filled with data, erased, filled again, then erased again every hour of every day for years, and the user still wouldn’t reach the theoretical write limit. He added that if a failure ever does occur, it will not occur in the flash chip itself but in the controller.

...& will not necessarily get you the same performance. In all likelihood it will be slower.
Huh? No. Not at all. Scaling on SSD's are nearly 1:1. ;)

Last edited:
I been running 2 ocz vertex turbo 60gb drives in raid 0 and have no issues what so ever. Just need to remember to align them if you do not have windows 7. Otherwise, you are set. They are the best thing you can possibly get cause at this day and age, you bottleneck are HDDs.

NAND flash wears out with each write cycle. Read cycles are harmless however. The theoretical limit for writing to a single MLC NAND cell is about 10,000 writes. It'd take a while to wear out, but it does. However, when it fails, you can still read that data from the cell; just not replace it.

NAND flash wears out with each write cycle. Read cycles are harmless however. The theoretical limit for writing to a single MLC NAND cell is about 10,000 writes. It'd take a while to wear out, but it does. However, when it fails, you can still read that data from the cell; just not replace it.

Except in server applications, this won't happen in the lifetime of the drive. On a 64GB SSD you'd have to write 640TB of data which would take an extremely long time especially when used as an OS drive. Furthermore, if the drive gets close to full, you'd be writing even less.

I just switched to an 80gb x25-m g2 and I'm loving it. It was a huge difference over my 74gb raptors in raid0. Once Intel comes out with drivers that support trim in raid, I'll probably pick up another drive.

Back