• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Exchange 4870 to 5770, Should I?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dolk

I once overclocked an Intel
So I sent in my Matrix EAH4870 to Asus for repair. Just got this back today:
I apologize for the delay in processing your RMA as we were unable to repair your unit. Since we currently do not have your model (EAH4870 MT/HTDI/512M/A) in stock, I would like to offer an exchange/replacement to the next available model (EAH5770/2DIS/1GD5/V2/A). To accept or decline this offer, please respond back to this email. If you do not wish to accept this offer, I can attempt to locate your original model which may take longer than our normal turn-around-time of approximately 10 business days.

Now I know the 5770 is much better than the 4870, but its not about the speed, but more of the capability of the card for OCing. The matrix gives me no limits to OCing what so ever. It is a large power house waiting to be unleashed.

What do you guys think?

HD 4870 is better than a HD 5770 as far as I know. Everything is the same spec wise except the 4870 is 256-bit whereas the 5770 is 128-bit. Tell them that you believe the 5770 is inferior to the product you sent in, and see if they are willing to upgrade it to a HD 5830 or 5850.

Yeah I told them its Matrix only. I can't justify getting rid of a card that is completely designed for Overclocking :shrug:

There are only two places that the 5770 beats the 4870:
1) Power consumption.
2) DX11.

Other then that, the 5770 is slower.
I would point that fact out to them, and ask for a card with equivalent performance (read: 5830).

Again I think the Benching team is missing the point.

Reason why I got the Matrix in the first place was its unlocked vCore, vMem, Mem, and Core provided through Itracker.

I can't live without that ability :D

They offered me a 5830, I said no.

I told them to wait another week to see if they can find another matrix.

I'd take the 5830 and then either be happy, or sell it and buy a 4890.

(Ok personally i'd just keep it, it's exactly what i'm after now that i'm doneish with the 4890)

But you guys don't understand,

Matrix = Unlimited!

I guess if you have played with one, you would know how it feels :shrug:

You're crazy Dolk. A 5830 would blow the socks off the 4870. The 4870 matrix isn't even anything special at that. Just a bunch of voltages that dont actually do anything.

I actually have one of these for testing. At stock, it's benching very close to the Gigabyte 5870 SOC (which I also have, but the voltage adjustment won't work). The review will be a little bit though b/c of vacation interference. Hoping to have it done & published on 8/2.

You should send it to me to get a proper review.

I know how those cards like to be tuned.

Tell them you want the equivalent at the time of purchase. So HD 4870 then = HD 5870 now. Or ask for a 4850 or something. Or a check if the price is right. I sent an HD 4870 to MSI RMA and since they didn't have any left they offered me a check for around $120. I bought the card for $15, but that's a story for another day ;)

Back