• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bottlenecking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Badastronaut

I'm looking to purchase a Radeon 5850 and psu. Do you think I will experience bottlenecking of I put it in the system below? Also, do you think I will see a significant performance increase from my current card for gaming?

AMD Phenomx4 9500 2.2ghz
6gb ddr2 RAM
640 gb Hard drive
My current current video card is a 9800gt.

If you need any additional information on my system, I can provide it. Thank you.

You will def experience bottlenecking with your cpu at that speed... you need to overclock your cpu to at least 3GHz to get the full benefit of your new card... even your 9800Gt will be getting held back by your processor...

Hmmmm... Would it be possible to push it that far? My knowledge of overclocking is basic, but that seems like quite a stretch.

I reckon with some good cooling it's possible.... i've got my i7 at 4GHz... That's 1.34GHz over stock... you should be able to get 1GHz out of your chip without too many problems... :D

What qualifies as good cooling? It's a standard case and the cooling system is nothing special. I have a fan and heatsink on the cpu, and another fan on the back, not counting the ones on the psu and graphics card, which I figure don't really effect the CPU.

In all honesty if you are looking to get that card I would look to upgrade your CPU as well. What kind of motherboard do you have? I know the first PhenI is Am2+ and I believe it's the PhenII 940 that is Am2+ as well. So you may look to upgrading to that to get the most out of your card. But see if you maybe have a board that is AM3 ready. More system info is always helpful. ;)

I don't have the money right now to upgrade the psu, gpu, CPU, and possibly motherboard. And honestly, if I'm going to do all that I would probably just assemble a new system with exactly what I want. This thing was an excellent black friday deal in 2007, but pre-assembled systems are always constricting, and for all that, I'd rather just wait and build my own system. However, It's an AM2+ socket on my motherboard, which is a M2N68-LA.
At this point I think I might just look towards putting a new psu in and overclocking. What does a good aftermarket cooler run pricewise? It might be better just to try to get a decent performance boost for under 250 now and look at replacing the system in 8-10 months when I might have the money. I figure I can always move the psu into a new unit, so my loss on that is limited.

Last edited:
Back