• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q9650 Overclocking Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

malifact

I'm hoping someone can help me. I've had my Q9650 CPU for several months and I decided to try overclocking it. From reading different websites I got the impression it would not be difficult to get it to 3.6 GHz stable by just increasing the FSB. Here are my specs:

MSI P45 Neo 3 motherboard
Samsung M378T2863QZS-CF7 1GB X 2 DDR2 RAM
Windows 7 64-bit
Hard Disk 250GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285
Corrsair TX750W PSU with 60A on a dedicated single +12V rail

Here are the settings I have in the BIOS:

Multi-step OC Booster - MODE 1
D.O.T. Control - Disabled
Intel EIST - Disabled
Intel C-STATE Tech - Disabled
Adjust CPU FSB Frequency (MHz) - 400
Adjusted CPU Frequency (MHz) - 3600

Advance DRAM Configuration - Untouched
Enhance Setting - Auto
FSB/DRAM Ratio - 1:1:00
Adjusted DRAM Frequency (MHz) - 800

Clock Gen Tuner - Untouched
Adjust PCI Frequency (MHz) - Default
Auto Disable DRAM/PCI Frequency - Enabled

CPU Voltage - 1.33 - 1.36
DRAM Voltage - 1.90 - 2.00
MCH Voltage - 1.10
VTT FSB Voltage - 1.25
ICH Voltage - 1.50

Spread Spectrum - Disabled

My PC is able to boot to Windows with no major problems. However, if I run Prime95 or OCCT one of the cores will cause a hardware error and will fail the test. I have increased the CPU voltage as high as 1.36 and Prime95 can make it to the 5th Test before there is a hardware error. Do I need to add more CPU voltage, or am I overlooking something else. The CPU temperatures seem fine judging from Core Temp.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Like ED mentioned, increase the MCH voltage to ~1.34V, CPU voltage to 1.35V, and ICH voltage to 1.55V. VTT FSB Voltage should be fine at 1.25V and a FSB of 400MHz, but manually adjust the four primary timings to 6-6-6-18 and 1.8V (or whatever timings and voltage the modules are rated at).

Back