• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU memory thermal pads?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AlienAndy

Registered
I need some thermal pads for my 8800 ultra. Any ideas on what it used and where to get them? When I got the card it had been rigged, so it never had any.

TIA.

It's an EVGA 8800 Ultra K.O Superclock edition. It went into artifacts so I baked it, but it never had any on it in the first place. (well not since I got it second hand).

Your link just goes to Arctic's site. Which product is it?

Hmm OK on second click it went there OK. The problem is whilst they're only 90 cents I would need about 20. And I don't really fancy spending £20 just to see if baking was successful. I wouldn't mind spending, say, £10 to find out, but if the card is still messed I don't want to throw good money after bad.

That is a sheet of them, so I would assume you only need 1. I haven't got mine in to confirm that fact due to ordering it from the international site and not the US one:bang head

For my gtx260 I actually ended up removing the thermal pads and simply used some Arctic silver 5 which improved cooling and adhesion, it really depends on where exactly you will be applying them.

Last edited:
For my gtx260 I actually ended up removing the thermal pads and simply used some Arctic silver 5 which improved cooling and adhesion, it really depends on where exactly you will be applying them.

I just read that you shouldn't do that.

Taken from Arctic's site.

(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths

Still in search of pads :(

get ceramique if you want to trade up from crapty TIMS . it conducts no electricity :-x

i useds arctic silver epoxy a long time ago for memory heatsinks , but I'm not sure how safe that was. That GF2 ultra sure was nice though :)

That is a sheet of them, so I would assume you only need 1. I haven't got mine in to confirm that fact due to ordering it from the international site and not the US one:bang head

That's for a single one mate. Nowhere does it mention sheet. I just found some for 79p each. Sadly I need 15 of them so it's about £12 plus delivery. I don't really want to pay that :(

Oh well, to the bin it would seem.

Right just done some research. Apparently aluminium based pastes like the Silver 5 conduct 237 on the thermal conductivity scale. Aluminium foil does 235..

Soooo.. I suppose I can fold some up and use that, making sure it doesn't hang over the ram chips and touch anything. Worth a try I guess.

That's for a single one mate. Nowhere does it mention sheet. I just found some for 79p each. Sadly I need 15 of them so it's about £12 plus delivery. I don't really want to pay that :(

Oh well, to the bin it would seem.

A review for the cooler showing the sheet, and clearly showing that it is perforated/segmented sheet:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/misc/picture/?src=/images/coolers/gf8800-vga-coolers/20_ac_accb.jpg&1=1

If you look closely at the picture from the Arctic Cooling website you can see the lines separating the pads.

Hey guys. In the end I found some Phobya pads. They're really clean and easy to use. Did the job too for just under a tenner.

This is what you need. Danger Den Thermal Pads It's like $2.00 for a 5 X 3 sheet of the stuff.
image.php

I also would use ceramique if you can over the thermal pads/tape but some blocks require you use thermal pads because they were designed that way and if you use thermal paste you won't make contact.

Back