• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS 8500GT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rog1121

Registered
I recently took out my ASUS 8500GT from my old HP PC and let it run on intergrated graphics. I did this because my Hackintosh wouldnt support an ATi 5770. OK lets get on to the point. THe GPU works fine and OSX is beast but the thing has 2 pins on the Card that are plugged into the motherboard by a VERY tiny 3 pin (from MOBO) to 2 pin ( to GPU).

I heard that some 850GT's can have their voltage modded. is this what its doing? What are those 2 pins for?

PS. I cant find the model anywhere, I think its custom made for Hp but it has one HDMI port, one DVi port, and one of those circular TV ports that similar to the old PS/2 keyboard/mouse ports

I'm not totally sure....so don't run to the bank with this, but it might be a way to get sound output through the HDMI on the card? Or am I bat stuff crazy?

From another site after googling...

You have to check the video card. On the top part you'll see a white plastic with 2 pins inside of it. This is the connector SPDIF output from the video card. So what you have to do is look up in your motherboard for a connector with 3 pins that says SPDIF OUT. Even though it looks with 3 pins ONLY 2 of them are needed. You will basically need ONLY a cable like this: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=83000&CatId=69 I got it at a local pc technician shop for 2 bucks only.

Ummm?

OK this helped but my SPIF connector on my MOBO has 5 pins..... 2 on top 2 on second row and 1 on third row which ones do i connect

OK this helped but my SPIF connector on my MOBO has 5 pins..... 2 on top 2 on second row and 1 on third row which ones do i connect

I know it's only two of them....gimme a second, I'll dig. My google skillz are way strong.

I think it's the top two...but I'm having a heck of a time downloading the manual from Gigabyte. Try that (the manual) and see if says anything.

Dude, I'm not sure if I'm having a PDF fail or what, but I cannot see that manual from Gigabyte...I hope it says in there. Hopefully you have the manual in hand. At least now you know what it is, I know only two pins need to be hooked up for the spidf, just don't know what two.

Last edited:
I think it's the top two...but I'm having a heck of a time downloading the manual from Gigabyte. Try that (the manual) and see if says anything.

Dude, I'm not sure if I'm having a PDF fail or what, but I cannot see that manual from Gigabyte...I hope it says in there. Hopefully you have the manual in hand. At least now you know what it is, I know only two pins need to be hooked up for the spidf, just don't know what two.

try this http://grab.by/5z5v

Back