• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this a good card for Blu-Ray/rendering

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

i6pwr

Changing up my build a little and switching from the Sapphire 5830 to the HIS 4850. Do not need a high end gaming card, just would like to not bottleneck my CPU when viewing or streaming HD clips, looks decent for around $100 and with GDDR3.

Not many reviews so I ask for any thoughts on it.

http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-463.shtml

HIS I don't know about - but I'd definitely go for the 4850, I'm probably gonna end up getting one soon to pair with my P45 mobo.

I'll let you know how it runs :)

I would stick with the 5xxx series, nothing wrong with a 4850 but theres no point in downgrading a line, especially when the 5xxx is so well known for its sipping power, something that should appeal to a nongamer. I would look at something like a 5670 or a 5570, maybe get a passive cooler so you can enjoy your movies without the hum of a whiny heat sink fan

sipping power?

Yes they're designed to be low power graphics cards, wheras the 4850 in its time was a mid-high range gaming gpu. I'm not positive, but I don't even think you need to plug in a 5570, the PCIE slot is enough.

Now if you are planning on gaming, even just a little, then my reccomendation changes, but if really all your going to do is watch movies then I would call the 4850 overkill, and direct you towards a more low power, quieter solution. Hell, the 5450 is designed for exactly what you want, you can grab them for like 40 dollars.

Ah, yeah I was just recommending the 4850 depending on what type of games he's talking about.

Back