• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Video Card and TV Tuner Card Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

geldib

Registered
Ok to start off Someone donated me a computer.. here are the specs.. (I know its old) Its a Dell 8250 with a 2.4Ghz P4, 1Gb 1066 RDRAM, 1 WD 120GB 8Mb cache, 1 Seagate 80Gb 8Mb cache, 1 16x DVD-ROM, 1 DVD Burner, 128MB ATI Radeon 9700 w/TV-out, on-board sound. Well I installed the DVD Burner I got it off newegg a few weeks ago for $22, I also Installed the Seagate cause it was given to me by my brother, and I also in stalled an extra 512Mb of RDRAM I bought off craigslist.com. I know I shouldn't waste the money upgrading this computer because anything I buy for it will be basically useless.. But since I lost everything in a house fire new computer is not a main concern at the moment.. I just want to upgrade this one a little just to make it comfortable to use.. I know i should upgrade the video card, and I also want to buy a tv tuner card, with the mpeg-2 encoder, so I can convert all my brothers VHS tapes to DVD, I live in Mississippi and when Blockbuster and Movie Gallery Came thru these small towns a few years back all the family owned video stores closed up and he went to a bunch of there going out of business sales and he now has a town of VHS tapes ... So please recommend some upgrades, I know I need more ram but RDRAM is expensive and hard to find.. I'm willing to buy used stuff but only people in my area where I can actually due the transaction in person.. Please help me out... and don't diss on my crappy system I know it isn't the best... But honestly I bet Its better than atleast 70% of the other comps in the USA or World wide for that matter.. Please help... I hope what I posted made sense, my 5 yr old son is running around like a chicken with its head cut off.. well thanks in advance for helping me... Like I said I'm willing to buy used items only in my area.. I am also willing to trade, I currently live in Memphis, TN...

Sorry I got off topic But I would like for you guys to give me some advice on a good and not too expensive video card so I could play some newer FPS games and could someone recommend me a good TV Tuner with MPEG-2 Encoder so I can convert VHS Movies to DVD.. Thanks

I Only have PCI Slots, USB and Firewire, I figure and PCI TV Tuner would be better than a USB one..

Back