• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help Picking a PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Buzkil

Registered
I need help picking a PSU for my build.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $149.99
Cpu: Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I5750 $208.99
Ram: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ $102.99
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1tb
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM $104.99
GPU: an XFX 5850
I was thinking of getting

Antec TruePower New TP-650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply $ 103.99

Will that work good or is there any other suggestions

I would chose that Antec over the Corsair. Both are SeaSonic built units but the Antec is built on a different platform that seems to perform better and has cleaner output than either of the Corsair HX or TX 650 and about same build quality.

Here are a couple quotes from OW's review of the 750.
That being said, the True New is once again an outstanding performer. Every last rail is doing better than 25mV of ripple. If this isn't the M12D platform, it's pretty darned close to being just as awesome. I'm doing my Snoopy dance again. Just you try and stop me.

once again we arrive at the scoring section. And this one's going to be easy. First, you have a unit that held up 80 Plus Bronze numbers, even when overloaded by 18 watts, even when cooked to 49 degrees in the hot box. Then, you have ripple and noise so low it was barely there at all. As if that weren't enough, the unit channeled its distant cousin the M12D in the overshoot transient tests and put the smackdown on nearly everything else I've ever tested. But, while those are all good things, I'd like to see the underside of the PCB cleaned up just a wee bit and the voltage stability on the 12V and 5V rails improved just a smidgeon. Today I'm going to be generous though and hand out a 9.5.

Here is the only review I could find for the 650 but it's not as detailed as OW does for JG.

Maybe OW will add his thoughts.

Modular you can remove the sata and molex and PCIe power cables (and sometimes the cpu power and ATX main connector) from the PSU so you don't have to stuff all the unused cables into 5.25" bays and such.

I really enjoy having a modular PSU, but i wouldn't pay extra for one personally.

Back