• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoOBClocker

Registered
hi everyone. i wanna buy a gpu but i am not sure the only thing i need to buy is gpu or not i think some other parts need some upgrates too i am here to ask what els is needed to be bought except gpu this is my pc requirements:

cpu: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
mobo: Abit IP35 Pro XE
rams: 4096 MB 1066 MHz

and others no need to mention i think the problem is with my psu that is 400w with 80% efficiency and the rams with low fsb plz tell me are they powerful enough for a ATI RADEON HD 5870 or not?

I wouldnt run an ATI 5870 on a 400 (no brand mentioned so Im scared for you) PSU, so I would upgrade that. Corsair 550VX would fit that bill perfectly.

What resolution do you game on?

Last edited:
Hey ED, don't you think that 5870 will be bottlenecked by that Q9300? Even @ 3.2Ghz I would think the 5870 will not run it's full potential.

And yes, the VX550 will do very nicely.

i am upgraing the psu for sure 400 is so low also with 80% efficiency X_X i might buy a 750w and so about the cpu i dont think it has anythig low...i am sure cpu matches as well with max 5870's power tell me about my mobo....is it powerful enough?

Mobo has nothing to do with the card really. Even if its a PCIe1.1 spec (so 16x 1.1 bandwidth or 8x @ pcie 2.0 bandwidth), it will only limit the card by 1-2%.

Your CPU though I would overclock to get the most out of the card. See if you can reach 3.4Ghz or 3.6Ghz.

EDIT: Yup... thiddy... you got that right! Needs MOAR meguhhertz!:)

ye sure but there are some probs with cpu too i cant oc higher than 3.2 to 3.6 or sth coz of 32 bit os and high temp...dont matter it needs some ***** i fix it easy i can reach 4 too i guess but if nothing els is wrong all is fine thx guys

ye sure but there are some probs with cpu too i cant oc higher than 3.2 to 3.6 or sth coz of 32 bit os and high temp...dont matter it needs some craps i fix it easy i can reach 4 too i guess but if nothing els is wrong all is fine thx guys

Most 32bit OSes are better for overclocking, it's the 64bits that give some people trouble.

32bit OS has nothing to do with your overclock really. Temps however are a different story. Keep that thing under 80C when stress testing and all is well.

i said 32 bit coz of my rams dude..also i cant run ibt test correctly coz of that and i guess what i cant oc more than 3.2 are temps of northbrige coz these set of xms2 rams dont overheat they have built in protection

i think i finish everything in several days i will teply on this thread again to tell u what is all about

I can run IBT on a 32bit OS....

but I sadly have to admit that I dont understand the remainder of that original post...

EDIT: OH NOES! Sorry neb!!!!!!!! I menat Nebby??????!!!! :p

32bit OS has nothing to do with your overclock really. Temps however are a different story. Keep that thing under 80C when stress testing and all is well.

In the past I have been able to get 100-200mhz more out of an XP 32 vs. a W7 64 build....same hardware. Was Intel e8600 setup...maybe I just got lucky or maybe it was the XP vs. W7 issue...not the 32 vs. 64 issue. I tested and tested...drove me up a wall cause I wanted to bench Vantage at top speed and never could, lol. :screwy:

If there has been a difference for me, it wasnt remotely close to that much...but that isnt the issue here I wouldnt imagine as he isnt close to maxing that chip out. I would think one may see more of a difference between OS's on Dry Ice or Ln2, but not air. I could be loco as well. ;)

**thanks god that the trout was put back in the freezer!!!**

If there has been a difference for me, it wasnt remotely close to that much...but that isnt the issue here I wouldnt imagine as he isnt close to maxing that chip out. I would think one may see more of a difference between OS's on Dry Ice or Ln2, but not air. I could be loco as well. ;)

**thanks god that the trout was put back in the freezer!!!**

10-4. I agree he ^^^^ is not having OS issues. I just got sidetracked! :D

I concur with ED. In the past the only issues I had was with 2-4-8gb of ram and overclocking. Temps for me were in check on both air and water. Of course there was the occasional overheating of the NB which was quickly remedied with a 40mm fan ;)

I vote getting a better cooler and oc the snot out of that chip to have that 5870 stretch it's legs.

-.- lol guys....i nearly burned my cpu down i put pcie clock on 180 mhz once...lol...all is fixed when i put a couple of fans on my northbridge and i buy new gpu and power nothing els is wrong then i asked to make sure its about houndred of dolars :)

Back