• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Waterpump failure

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
Well, after 6 years of faithful service dating back to my socket A (462) days to the current i7 setup, my MCP600 gave up the ghost :cry:

It all happend when I was reading the NZXT Vulcan case review just a little bit ago, then poof the main shut itself off. I gave it a few minutes wondering if I had another power failure at home, but everything else was on ie: AC, cable box & TV. My son was still watching cartoons.

Try rebooting and placed my hand on the pump as it was booting up and sho' nuff no vibration. Still plugged in I tried a 2nd time just to be sure. Yup, no vibration = instant death. No squeal, no stuttering, just poof :-/

Luckily for me I have CPU temp shut-off enabled so no damage to either the chip or video card. I purchased a replacement pump from Mudd several months ago just for such an occasion. Swapped pumps and the Mega-O is back in action. Pays to be prepared! :cool:

Honestly I almost crapped my pants thinking something else, rofl!

Six years isn't exactly a short life for him. I'm sure it was well lived too. I definitely wouldn't have been as prepared. Good job with the back up on hand. :thup:

Thx guyz :) I bought the MCP600 used too so I think the pervious owner had it for a little over a year before I got it. It's been in use pretty much 24/7 right up til the end. Dam reliable pump if you ask me. 7 years of service is not something to sneeze at.

The back-up I got from Mudd is a Corsair branded MCP655-B. Not bad, just a tad noisier then the 600.

Thx guyz :) I bought the MCP600 used too so I think the pervious owner had it for a little over a year before I got it. It's been in use pretty much 24/7 right up til the end. Dam reliable pump if you ask me. 7 years of service is not something to sneeze at.

The back-up I got from Mudd is a Corsair branded MCP655-B. Not bad, just a tad noisier then the 600.

the blue D4 right? how does it compare in noise? i found mine to be stupid loud.

Yeah, it's blue. At first it's whiny, but then it lowers the noise volume, but still on the noisy side. I got another one that whines loud as hell. It's brand new too. I haven't tossed it out thinking I might be able to use it for parts or fix it.

its probably a motor, the replacement motor probably costs about as much as a brand new pump tbh...

Back