• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A non-computer related headset question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stever7

Sorry if I'm not allowed to ask a question not to do with computers per-say, however I felt this was the best place I could go to in hopes of getting an educated answer.

I'm a gamer, typically consoles but occasionally PC. And I've decided it's high time I purchase myself a decent gaming headset. My requirements were (I thought at the time) simple; budget of £200 (I live in rainy old England), had to work with (or have the ability to work with; I am happy to buy a few accessories as long as they're not ridiculously priced) the xbox 360, PS3 and the pc. I wanted them to provide as good sound quality, preferably with correct surround sound direction (but not essential). And I'd like to be able to both hear and control game sound and chat separately via the headset.

To this end I felt the Turtle Beach X41s seemed to roughly fit the bill, HOWEVER I just upgraded my 360 to the new model and have just noticed both the headset and the console's built in wifi appear to use the 2.4Ghz frequency for their wireless technology. So I'm now no longer sure they'd work :/

All in all, I'm in a pickle and slightly confused. Any help I could get would be greatly appreciated and if I've not made myself clear on any part of this (I know how I rabble at times :rolleyes: ) I'd be happy to try and explain myself better.

Steve

Simple awnser, don't buy a headset. They usually have a low quality mic and low quality speakers, unless you are buying HMD 25s or something of the sort.

Your best option is to just get a good set of headphones and a separate mic. What usually gets recommend are audio technica AD700s and a zalman clip on mic.

Also, looking at the current price of the AD700s on amazon.co.uk, you are probably better off ordering from the US store and paying a bit more for shipping. The AD700s are around 58 GBP in the US store and 114 in the UK store. Then again it seems everything you buy on amazon, you get a better price ordering from the one in a different country. I was gonna buy some CDs for 40 USD shipped and ended up playing 67 USD for the same CDs from the US version of the same place I was ordering from on the UK site. Stupid amex card...

Ahem, anyway, there you go. A full headset way under budget. You'll also probably want a 2.5mm adapter so that the mic will hook up to the 360 controller. I'm not sure what the PS3 uses but I would assume that it's either 3.5mm or 2.5mm.

Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

Theoretically I'm open to buying a mic and headset separately... however there are a few issues I would expect to see with doing that:
1 - When using with the 360 (as an example) I'd like to have individual control of game volume and chat volume. Something possible with various gaming headsets out there, but I wouldn't expect to see that functionality on a set of regular headphones. Or am I missing an obvious get around?
2 - The 360 headset seems to draw the chat feed directly from the controller. I know that some form of game chat goes via the TV audio in, however this always sounds mangled imo. Would this not complicate things?

Think those are the only 2 issues I see with that proposal, and other than those two issues I'd be very open to that idea as I also would use the headphones when watching tv, films, etc. so that I don't disturb my flatmates. So the idea of being able to take the mic off AND having better sound quality is appealing!!

I'm not sure on the conversion to £ but I am quite sure it will probably set you back fairly close to budget. I'm also sure that konakona would probably agree that his headphone recommendation will perform better than atro's "gaming headphones" that you can get with the mixamp.
Atro Mixamp

This should definately solve the 2 con's you have listed although it definately comes at a premium cost.

Last edited:
Back