• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux and crossfire?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pinkles

After looking at the recent linux vs Windows benchmarks I am seriously contemplating making the jump to linux. I have some experience with linux but am by no means an expert.

My question is two-fold:
Firstly, What is the best distro in terms of speed and compatibility with hardware (see second question)? I am not very worried about the complexity as I am a fast learner :bday: :comp:
And secondly, does linux play nice with crossfire? More specifically, crossfiring two 4870's.

And a third smaller question. Does linux have any problems with hardware compatibility? (this is kind of just restating part of question one:screwy:)

Thanks for you help!

I would try Mint 10 (based on Ubuntu 10.04, but way nicer), my favorite distro by far. As far as CrossFire goes, I had my 4870s CrossFired before and I never quite got it working well. I know in the last 6 months or so there have been several updates regarding CrossFire in Linux, but I had gotten rid of my second 4870 before they put that out so I can't comment. I have however had no trouble installing the latest ATI drivers in Mint. I haven't had any problems with hardware using Mint in my desktop (in sig) or my girlfriend's laptop.

THanks for the help man :D Ill look into that Mint. WHat do you think about debian?

Back