Intel Motherboards
Forum Jump

LGA-775 Mobo Replacement

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 07-31-10, 10:08 PM Thread Starter   #1
RhoXS

10 Year Badge

LGA-775 Mobo Replacement

I am currently using a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Mobo and a 3.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo running at 3.8 Ghz. Tonight the machine just shutdown and I suspect either a power supply failure or a mother board short circuit. Although I ordered a new power supply, I am thinking ahead to what would be an appropriate replacement mobo.

I am very happy with the performance of my existing CPU/Mobo combination and I do not think I can substantially improve upon this performance, at any reasonable cost, by replacing both the mobo and CPU. Therefore, if necessary, I just want to replace the mobo but the GA-EP45-UD3P is no longer a current product.

I am looking for a recommendation for a new mobo that will provide the same performance as the GA-EP45-UD3P.

Is the Gigabyte GA-EP45T-USB3P backward compatible with my DDR2 memory?

Would being forced to upgrade to DDR3 provide a consequential improvement in performance?

WD 750 GB Caviar Black
8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
EVGA 9800GTX Graphics
Corsair H50
Corsair HX850W Power Supply
Corsair 600T Case
W7 Professional 64 bit
RhoXS is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Overclockers Approved
Which motherboard should you buy? Get the final word here. Check out the latest Overclockers reviews:
ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard Review

ASRock teamed up with overclocker Nick Shih to make a high-end overclocking-based, yet functional for all users, motherboard named the Z77 OC Formula. It appears they have achieved it. Read More.

Get it at NewEgg for $239.99
ASUS Maximus V Formula Motherboard

The Maximus V Formula is part of the ROG (Republic of Gamers) series of motherboards, which in itself brings a high level of expectation. It's a no brainer, Overclockers Approved! Read more.

Get it at NewEgg for $279.99
Old 07-31-10, 10:12 PM   #2
MattNo5ss
5up3r m0d3r4t0r
Overclockers.com Editor

The UD3P is a great board and you're right when you say you prolly can't get much better. How old is your UD3P?

The EP45T-USB3P isn't backwards compatible to DDR2, so you'd have to get new RAM.

My Overclockers.com Articles | HWBot Profile | Heatware (97-0-0)

Projects: Copper-Framed, MDF Station | PVC-Framed, MDF Station | Custom Cascade Cart/Case | Untitled TJ07 Build
MattNo5ss is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-31-10, 11:10 PM   #3
Bottomsup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattNo5ss View Post
The UD3P is a great board and you're right when you say you prolly can't get much better. How old is your UD3P?

The EP45T-USB3P isn't backwards compatible to DDR2, so you'd have to get new RAM.
That stinks. I'm surprised the lack of P45 boards still for sale. I'm looking to upgrade my 965P to a P45 so I can OC my Q6600 further and squeeze some new life out of it. The G41s seem to be in abundance, but I hear they are crappy for OC'ing and they have onboard VGA which I don't need.

If I have to purchase DDR3 I might as well upgrade the entire system to i7.

I suppose I'll look at buying used.

4GB DDR3 1600
Hauppauge HDTV Tuner
Creative Audigy2 ZS

My Heatware
Bottomsup is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-31-10, 11:43 PM   #4
Bobnova
Innocent Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
I am currently using a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Mobo and a 3.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo running at 3.8 Ghz. Tonight the machine just shutdown and I suspect either a power supply failure or a mother board short circuit. Although I ordered a new power supply, I am thinking ahead to what would be an appropriate replacement mobo.

I am very happy with the performance of my existing CPU/Mobo combination and I do not think I can substantially improve upon this performance, at any reasonable cost, by replacing both the mobo and CPU. Therefore, if necessary, I just want to replace the mobo but the GA-EP45-UD3P is no longer a current product.

I am looking for a recommendation for a new mobo that will provide the same performance as the GA-EP45-UD3P.

Is the Gigabyte GA-EP45T-USB3P backward compatible with my DDR2 memory?

Would being forced to upgrade to DDR3 provide a consequential improvement in performance?

Warranty the UD3P, it has a three year warranty, you should still be within that.

How to check your PSU with a multimeter.

17bXw5t51rEBXGavJFMJsC8g7HQgThUGc7

Heatware.
Bobnova is online now Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-31-10, 11:52 PM   #5
MattNo5ss
5up3r m0d3r4t0r
Overclockers.com Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnova View Post
Warranty the UD3P, it has a three year warranty, you should still be within that.
We were thinking the same thing. That's exactly why I asked how old was his board

My Overclockers.com Articles | HWBot Profile | Heatware (97-0-0)

Projects: Copper-Framed, MDF Station | PVC-Framed, MDF Station | Custom Cascade Cart/Case | Untitled TJ07 Build
MattNo5ss is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-01-10, 02:37 AM   #6
Headstand

If you can't warranty it, why not look for a used one? If you have access to the classifieds, there will be one listed in about 4 hours.

GTX460 768MB
GT240N 1GB
H50 push-pull
2 x 2GB G.SKILL Trident DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000)
60GB OCZ Agility
1 x WD 500 AAKS
2 x WD Caviar Black 1TB SATAIII - RAID1
4 x WD Caviar Green 1.5TB
HEAT
Headstand is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-01-10, 08:28 AM Thread Starter   #7
RhoXS

10 Year Badge

I appreciate all the good responses.

My instinct tells me the power supply is the problem so a mobo issue may not come to pass (here's hoping). I isolated the power supply from every device it is connected to, including the two mobo 12V 4 pin connectors and was unable to isolate the problem. I ordered a new power supply from Newegg last night with overnight delivery so I will have it on Tuesday. The three year warranty on the OCZ power supply expired in May but I am going to call them anyhow to see if they will do anything.

My UD3P was purchased in Feb, 2009 so it is still under warranty. I certainly will take advantage of this but I am between the proverbial rock and a hard place because I need access to my computer. I handle a number of personnal and family business related issues on this machine so I have to be concerned about the time for Gigabyte to replace the board. If the mobo proves to be the problem I will see if Gigabyte will let me pay for second day shipment and hold a credit card number until I return the defective board.

Thanks again for all the advice above.

WD 750 GB Caviar Black
8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
EVGA 9800GTX Graphics
Corsair H50
Corsair HX850W Power Supply
Corsair 600T Case
W7 Professional 64 bit
RhoXS is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-01-10, 10:47 AM   #8
Ronbert

This is off topic but there's really mobos out there that are backwards compatible with RAM? Like DDR3 board could possibly depending on the make take DDR2?

WD 1TB Caviar Black 7200RPM
Windows 7 HB 64x
G.Skill™ Ripjaws 2x2GB 1600MHz
Lim. Edition Patriots 2x4GB 1600MHz
Corsair 850W TX
GTX 670 - 2GB

HEATWARE
Ronbert is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > Intel Motherboards
Intel Motherboards