• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New system build blue screen of death

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gid

Registered
Would love some help on this.

Just built this system and bios recognizes all components:

i3 530
EVGA P55 LE
GTX 460
WD 15k velociraptor 300 Gig
2X2G G Skill Ripjaws
Thermaltake 750 W
OEM Asus Optical drive (unsure on model)

All components are new.

Insert Windows disk and it goes through loading process, says "starting windows" and then flashes to blue screen.

Bios identifies the correct hard drive and optical drive.

Any ideas? Thanks for your help!

Ah yes, slightly valuable info.

Using an original pre-SP Windows XP home edition.

Error:

"A problem has been detected...

Technical information:

*** STOP:0x00000007E (0xc0000005, 0x F7748EOBF, 0xF78DA208, 0xF78D9G08)

*** pci.sys - Adress F748EOBF base at F748700, Datestamp 3b7d855c"

First, XP doesnt natively recognise SATA controllers. You'll have to floppy/F6 and give it a driver, unless your board will allow the SATA to be set in IDE mode, sometimes that will work. Pre-service pack XP also has a 137gb limit.

Best solution is to slipstream a new XP install disk with Service packs, and drivers. Nlite, and Driverpacks are the two best friends for those still on XP.

http://driverpacks.net/driverpacks

http://www.nliteos.com/

Aside from an OS issue, try using one stick of ram at a time, swapping sticks if it still does it on the first one. Installing an OS will call out bad ram in hurry.

Thanks for the response. I've been seeing similar things on my searches about XP not recognizing new hardware. Going to try the RAM option then moving on to more drastic measures.... :mad:

Thanks again polarys! I got a bootable ISO of XP with SP3 that worked fine.

Your welcome. Glad ya got it going with minimal fuss.

If you havent already, look into Nlite, it will allow you to slipstream service packs (if needed), but more importantly, you can customize your install disk, setting things like time zone, screen resolution, user names, pre-input the windows key, network settings, domains, etc. You can also remove un-needed components of windows to slim the install size down. Its a really cool utility.

Back