• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new ram comp wont post

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Try clearing the CMOS (BIOS) via the jumper on the motherboard and see if it helps any.

Look for any swollen or leaking capacitors on the motherboard.

If you have a spare power supply, use that, too, and see if it will POST with that.

If it does not POSt with a different (known working) PSU, then most likely it is your mainboard that is faulty and not the RAM - especially if it has swollen/leaking capacitors..

Sounds like you have done something to the motherboard. Check that it isn't being shorted anywhere and double check all PSU cables are plugged in etc. (I always used to forget to plug power back into the GPU!).

Good luck!

I took the mobo out of case and put everything together

Same issue....nothing on the screen...long beeps

Tried 2 other sticks of ram

Same issue

Is the motherboard fried?

If so, can it be replaced for <$60?

Specs are

amd brisbane 4000+
2 gig of pc26400 ram
3 hd's
430w antec psu
9600gt

I do have a e5200 in the stash...should i now get an intel board? or stick with amd since money is low?

Try putting the single stick in the last DIMM slot (slot 4) reset CMOS and get into BIOS and adjust your mem voltages and timings as needed. Restart.

All is good? Power down and put the ram slot in the first slot and power up.

If you are going to run both sticks make sure that all settings are at the lowest common denominator. (IE cas 5-5-5 with cas 4-4-4 sticks... both should be run at 5-5-5 and adjust voltage to whichever needs more.)

There's only 2 dimm slot's

i tried 1 stick in each slot and the same thing happens

i can't even get into the bios...screen stays blank

what's irking me is NEITHER stick works. it's like the old stick died once i put the new one in,

this is how it went down

I got the extra stick in the mail this afternoon
i powered down
grounded myself
opened up the case
popped the extra stick in the empty dimm slot
powered on.....nothing on the screen...long continuous beeps.
took the stick out...powered on...nothing on the screen...long beeps.

Took the old stick out, put the new stick in the first slot, same applies.

Then tried each stick in each slot together and by themselves...same applies.

Hmm with 2 slots I dont know CMOS reset should fix it. Quick solution for RAM issues on AMD is single stick in fourth slot after CMOS reset to get in and apply "stable" settings to memory.

You did do CMOS reset with just the old stick yes? TBH.. yeah something else could have happened...

Oh and when you listed system specs you forgot to include that which ties ALL of what you listed together. Which motherboard (unless I missed it)?

If you know the motherboard or remember what BIOS type it uses you can google the beep codes for it. Will tell you for sure if it is the RAM or not. (I suspect it is...)

BIOS type is AMI/ Phoenix, Award

mobo is an ecs amd690gm

i did the cmos reset with both sticks. when i switched the jumper to reset, the comp doesn't turn on at all..is that suppose to happen?

mobo is an ecs amd690gm

i did the cmos reset with both sticks. when i switched the jumper to reset, the comp doesn't turn on at all..is that suppose to happen?
Yes.

Use just the old stick.

Move cmos jumper to reset... wait 15 seconds.. (with PSU powered down via the switch on the back or unplugged) move jumper back to normal position.

Restart.

Mobos (especially older ones) are not necessarily good at determining the best timings/speed for you. If you manually set 6400(800MHz) you may have to manually set timings as well...mixing ram is iffy at best. You can run two completely different sticks, but it might require some tweaking and both ram sticks will only work as well as the worst of the two.

Maybe the mobo got zapped by static. Did you take reasonable anti-static measures, like work barefoot and and like keep yourself in constant contact with bare metal on the computer case (either directly or with an anti-static wrist strap)? Do any of the RAM sticks work in other machines?

I've had OST brand capacitors go bad in just 1-2 years, once in the CPU voltage regulator (ECS K7VTA3 v. 8), a couple of times in the memory voltage regulator (ECS GeForce 6100M-M, ECS NForce6M-A). You may want to see if there are any bulging caps near the DIMM slots, but I've read that OST caps can fail without showing external signs, so verify the 1.8V that's supposed to go to the DIMM slots.

sadly, i don't have anything else to test the ram on -_-

i looked for blown caps earlier and didn't see anything

I think i zapped the mobo or zapped the ram..something is up.

any other tests i can do?

Looks like it's the board.

Ain't the first time an ECS suddenly craps out.

Only thing you can do now is get a new board and hope that the RAM you bought did not kill the original board and still works OK with the new one you end up getting.

Back