• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Advice needed on my new computer build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rnldrc22

Hi, i'm actually pretty new to this forum, but as i am wanting to build a system that can hold up a pretty good overclock i decided coming here.

Here is the situation, i currently own a Dell Studio XPS with i7 920 at stock speed, however as Dell doesn't allow overclocking i'm thinking on putting my i7 into a new build. So far those are the things i'm planning to have:

HAF 922M
Asus P6X58D Premium
Kingwin Lazer 750w power supply
Thermaltake Frio Dual Fan 120mm (for my i7)
3x2GB Corsair DDR3-1600
Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 1TB

What do you guys think? I want to be able to really overclock my i7 without having any risks with temperature. I need suggestions.

Thanks!! :)

What are you using it for? If your gaming, it's a perfect time to upgrade your GTX260, though it should play most games for a little longer.

The Frio is a very good cooler, but it's not top tier. Consider the Corsair H50, Thermalright TRUE 120, Thermalright Venomous-X, noctua nh-d14, ECO A.L.U. Between these, there's a minimal difference, though the H50 and ECO ALU are closed loop (read: no maintance) liquid systems that match the price and performance of high end air systems. A H70 is coming out very soon, but that's slightly more expensive, but it's said to have better performance. I'm waiting until reviews come out to believe this, though.

I will build it for gaming. As i see my pc getting too old and limited at stock speeds...

I'm going to check out the products you said! And what do you suggest me upgrading my gtx260 to? could i use SLI since my motherboard allows?

In case of the Noctua NH-D14 or the Corsair H50, would it work with my HAF 922M?

Last edited:
What games/resolution? Plus, are you going to upgrade in the future?
Two GTX460s in SLI is one of the best configurations right now, for bang for your buck, it's better then a single flagship single gpu (read: GTX480/Radeon 5870) card. However, the card can't three-way SLI, so you can't upgrade it in the future.

Last edited:
Right now i'm only thinking on playing FFXIV on it, but i'm open for others like Crysis 2 and etc.. lol My system as it is can barely run FFXIV at highest resolution, 1680x1050.

As of now i use a dual screen both 1920x1080, but i think my GTX260 can keep up yet, just need to improve my i7

I think GTX460 will be staying on my wishlist...

And yes, i plan on upgrading in the future mainly my GTX260

Last edited:
Sorry, but I don't know how demanding FFXIV is...
But if your even going to attempt to play Crysis 2, I'd say going with a GTX480, Radeon 5870, or a Radeon 5970. The 5970 is dual 5870 at lower clocks, so you probably wouldn't need to upgrade with that. With a 480 or 5870, you could add another one or two cards as needed.

If you use multiple of those cards, you might need a better power supply.

i think right now radeons are a bit expensive... i'm on a low budget, sorry... If i need i will upgrade to those!

But i'm interested in getting the most of my i7 with OC to about 3.2-3.6 ghz or if possible 4 ghz without any problems with cooling and etc and maybe overclock my GTX260 too. That way i would be able to run FFXIV with easy.

Is 750W of power enough? xD

The H50 with push/pull fan config would work well for you or hold off for the H70(which comes with push/pull fans). I would also go with a minimum 850w PSU for future considerations. Keep the GTX 260 a little longer and invest in better cooling and a better PSU, try and pick up a cheap GTX 260 for SLI and down the road when prices may get a little better and budget allows, go for SLI GTX 480's. You could then build a secondary system or sell off parts to recoup some cash and have a great system to enjoy.

Okay, thanks for the answers. I was just looking at the GTX460 superclocked (since its cheaper than the GTX480) what you think?

Where could i find a cheap GTX260? for SLI, does the boards have to be the exact the same or only the model?

I think i might go with H50 since im reading posts that they arent so much different from H70...

Last edited:
The mfg does not have to be the same, just the model. Two GTX 460's will outperform a single GTX 480 for the same cost as a single GTX 480. That being said, you have to decide what future upgrades you may want. I would find another GTX 260 for now. Save and get a GTX 480, keep one GTX 260 for PhysX and then save for another GTX 480. This is how I upgraded from my SLI GTS 250's (which are now in a SLI modded Gigabyte EX38-DQ6 Q6600 setup), it is less of an impact on your pocket book. Shop around locally and on the net for another GTX 260, timing is everything when getting a good buy sometimes.
Just some more thoughts.:)

Does FFXI even support SLI? That is the only reason why I don't like SLI, because certain games just plain don't support that extra card, and AFAIK no MMO really supports SLI. I like what I see on the GTX460 and that is what I personally would upgrade to. I also tend to just buy a new comp every 1-2 years and also stay at the mid range.

You could upgrade to a GTX460 now and pick up one later. But I'd go with what diesel said.

Remember, the H70 hasn't come out yet, so we don't know actual benches, though it does seem like a bigger H50. But bigger *could* mean better performance.

The mfg does not have to be the same, just the model. Two GTX 460's will outperform a single GTX 480 for the same cost as a single GTX 480. That being said, you have to decide what future upgrades you may want. I would find another GTX 260 for now. Save and get a GTX 480, keep one GTX 260 for PhysX and then save for another GTX 480. This is how I upgraded from my SLI GTS 250's (which are now in a SLI modded Gigabyte EX38-DQ6 Q6600 setup), it is less of an impact on your pocket book. Shop around locally and on the net for another GTX 260, timing is everything when getting a good buy sometimes.
Just some more thoughts.:)

I see, that's how i am going to do then. I wont be able to invest in a GTX 480 for now, and probably they will have their price reduced hopefully. I just saw a GTX 260 superclocked for 189.99 at Compusa which is practically the same price as the GTX460 just 30-40 dollars less, now i dunno what to do, if i go for the GTX 260 SLI for a while or one GTX 460 or if i just wait a bit for the GTX 480. Yet i'm going to see if i find out anything better.

I could also overclock my GTX 260 just to hold on for a while, i'm kinda trying to limit my budget...

You could upgrade to a GTX460 now and pick up one later. But I'd go with what diesel said.

Remember, the H70 hasn't come out yet, so we don't know actual benches, though it does seem like a bigger H50. But bigger *could* mean better performance.

Would H70 or H50 fit a HAF 922M right?

That is a decent price for the GTX 260, I would get it, and yes either H50/H70 will fit. Definitely OC your GTX 260 if you haven't, you're missing out on it's full potential as well as maximizing your dollar/value.

Nice! what software do i use? whats more reliable and not so much for experts... I'm pretty new to OC so i want to be careful.

I was wondering, since on HAF922M the PSU is located at the bottom, and mostly my case stays on the carpet, wouldnt it overheat my psu? what could i do?

Back