• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help - HD5750 not working

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

A3oN

Greetings.

I recently bought a XFX HD5750 512MB from another guy, to replace my 8600GTS.

As soon as i got home, i switched one vga for the other (funny how 5750 is smaller than 8600gts), and tried to test it. To problem is that, with the new vga on, the system is not POSTing: the power led is active on the board, all the fans start working (including the one from 5750), even the dvd-rw drive does its usual sound of booting up, but nothing else happens, the screen stays black, there's no post, no beeps, nothing (after some seconds the dvd-rw gives that sound again, it's like if the system was rebooting over and over again every 5-6 seconds).

My system specs are the following:
- C2D E6400 [email protected]
- RAM A-Data 2x1GB 4-4-4-11
- PSU LC Power Giant Green v2.0 LC6550GP 550W (18A+16A)
- MB Asus P5N-E SLi (v0604 bios)
- HD Seagate 160GB SataII + Maxtor 250GB IDE

After this failure, i mounted the 8600gts back in (and system started working normally again), and went to test the vga in a friend's PC, with the following specs:

- C2D E6750 2.66Ghz
- RAM 4Gb Corsair XMS2
- PSU NOX Apex 800W
- MB Asus P5KC
- HD Seagate 500Gb (7200.11)

And in his system (usually equipped with an hd4870 1GB), it worked, which suggests that the problem is most certainly in my computer, and not in hd5750.

Right now there's only two reasons i can remember for this issue: MB incompatibility/outdated bios or lack of PSU power to run it (and if it's this one i'm in some trouble, since i can't send the vga and get the money back, nor can i afford to buy a new, better psu right now :().

Before buying the card i checked for internet feedback, and i saw various examples of equal/worse psu's running this vga fine (and its power draw, surprisingly, is just a little higher than 8660gts', according to web reviews), which made me think it was "safe" to buy it.

And about the MB, it's a 650i chipset, and my bios version is actually a little old, but there isn't anything that suggests to me a need of flashing to a newer version (i was thinking it could be needed due to hd5750 being pci-ex 2). In the latest bios for it, though, the notes say: "Fix it takes long time to show up on screen with certain AMD graphic card when booting up the system.", but in my case the system's not even booting, so i don't think this would be the reason (i'll be updating the bios soon anyway, just to check if that is the reason of the problem).

I'm getting out of options, and i certainly wouldn't desire to have just spent money for nothing, any help would be appreciated... :-/

All connections/settings were good. Also, i found out the system actually posts... after ~50 sec. of self-rebooting (it reboots 8 times before starting to work).

I'm reading about more people with the same issue, apparently the new hd5000 series (and hd4890 too) don't mix well with 650i/680i, it's a chipset issue.

The latest bios fixes the problems for most people, but there are still some cases where it still doesn't work. I'll just have to update the bios and pray a little bit (now where did i put my flash drive...? x) ).

Thank you both for the replies :)

EDIT: Bios updated, problem solved ^^.

Last edited:
Back