• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will NH-D14 block corsair dominator?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ingram87

Hi,
I am considering using NH-D14 for my i7 930, but not sure if it is going to block corsair dominator. Do anyone know? or if there is any solution:p
:burn:

The distance between the processor and memory is going to vary per board. This isn't something we can tell you for sure unless someone used the exact combination board/cooler that you want to use.

Best you can do is try it.

What you can do is take the 120MM and put it on the other set of "fins", it should fit and it'd be right next to the exhaust.

That is actually the first company I have seen that does that. Very slick.

The Noctua definitely has clearance issues with tall heatspreaders, but there are a few ways around this. First, you can move the fan to the other side (exhaust side) of the heatsink like has been stated here. Second, you can also offset the fan a bit to where it mounts just above the heatspreaders, which makes the fan sit a little higher on the heatsink. But that will only have a very minimal impact on performance, if any at all. And BTW, if you want to mount 3 fans on the D14, order yourself a set of Megahalems 25 mm fan wire clips to fit the third fan on with. The Noctua clips will have interference between them if you try to mount 3 fans with the Noctua wire clips.

Something mud didn't mention is that you can remove the ramsinks...in most cases they're purely aesthetic and often they increase the temperature of the ram. It shouldn't be even a slight issue with the 120mm d14 fan that close to them and the Bernoulli effect pulling air up through and around them.

The only problem with removing the ramsinks is that you void the ram warranty if you do that. And take a chance of pulling a ram chip off the ram pcb too.

Thanks a lot :) +1 for all you guys. I guess i'll still choose NH-D14 and just remove the top heat sink of the memory.
Noctua is really a good company, never seen compatibility intro like this before.

PS: I am going to use asus P6X58D-E and is dominator (1600) a good oc choice? if working with i7 930?

The only problem with removing the ramsinks is that you void the ram warranty if you do that. And take a chance of pulling a ram chip off the ram pcb too.

He's talking about the removable fins on top, not the heat spreaders. The top fins are removable and are held on by 3 allen head screws. I think they are 3/32" but I am not certain.

yeah yellowbeard is the corsair rep on our forums.

a few vendors have reps here, newegg and ocz to name some.

Yea, I knew we had reps here, but I've never seen one post...probably because I hide in this corner of the forum...

WOAH, are you actually with corsair?

Guilty as charged. :thup: I have been spending a bit more time in these forums since they revamped the site and got the reviews going again.

And yes, the warranty is still good if you take off the removable top fins. That's a hand feature for a variety of reasons.

Yellowbeard, I didn't know that you had modified the Dominators like that. That is really nice and I'm glad that you all addressed the tall heatspreader problem in such a good way. Kudos to Corsair for some more good engineering. :thup:

Now if I could only get an H70 to review against 6 high end air coolers I am working on now. ;)

Yellowbeard, I didn't know that you had modified the Dominators like that. That is really nice and I'm glad that you all addressed the tall heatspreader problem in such a good way. Kudos to Corsair for some more good engineering. :thup:

Now if I could only get an H70 to review against 6 high end air coolers I am working on now. ;)

Check your PMs.

Back