• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Updating Build for 2010...Please take a look.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Defient

Updating Build for 2010...UPDATED!!

See updated build within thread

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok fellas, the time has come for me to finally be able to update my current system. My initial build was back in 2006-2007. With that being said, I have not been keeping up too much on the industry. Below are my initial thoughts on my next build. Feel free to chip in any comments or advice that may help me. Am I heading in the right direction with this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Also, as a note, I'm not really in dire need to upgrade ASAP. I would love to, but is there anything worth waiting on?

Also, to offer a little background, I’m a PC gamer and I also run several graphic design applications. I would like to future proof my build as much as possible. Not looking to spend over $1500 for the update. Just a few things to keep in mind.

Case:
Antec 900 –Currently own, would like to carry over to my new build. Love the case; however does anyone foresee any size issues?

CPU Cooler:
Zalman 9700 – Currently own, would like to carry over to my new build. No complaints. Would just have to buy an adapter.

Mother Board:
This is pretty much a grey area for me. I have been looking around a bit trying to decide. Feel free to offer up some recommendations. I currently have a Gigabyte and have been very pleased with it, so I’m thinking of going with the GA-X58A-UD3R, ASUS P6 Deluxe, or an EVGA X58 LE.

CPU:
I’m going to go with an Intel Core i7 930.

Memory:
I would also like some recommendations for this as well. I’ve taken a look at the G-Skill Trident-2000 series. However, this is only a 4GB kit, tempted to explore the 6GB kits.

HDD:
Currently going to go with a 1TB drive for storage and I would like to get into a SDD for some games and other applications including my operating system (Windows 7). Haven’t looked at them too too much, but I’d like something around the 100-128GB range.

GPU:
X2 EVGA GeForce 460 1GB or X2 ATI Sapphire 5850

thanks for the help :)

Last edited:
For the video cards, both are excellent configurations. The GTX460's are better bang for your buck. However, the CFed 5850's give better performance, though they're more expensive. But with the 5850, you can add another one down the road when things start to show their age. I would still go with the 460's, ATI's drivers have given me enough headache.

The EVGA X58 SLI LE is a great board, don't get me wrong, but it can't compete with the UD3R or the P6T. Between those two, it's very, very close. The UD3R has USB 3.0 and SATA III, so I guess it wins. You might want a second opinion on this.

2000Mhz memory is frankly a waste of money. Get a low latency 3x2GB kit of DDR3-1600, such as this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231304

or lower latency and lower voltage for $10 more: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231335

This SSD is pretty expensive, but it has some of the best performance: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227529

By the way, happy birthday! :D :http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118045

Last edited:
Also, to maybe fuel a little more feedback, Is now a safe time to upgrade? I realize 1366 will be around for a decent amount of time, but with the rumor's of sandy bridge and bulldozer as well as the ATI 6xxx series, I'm kinda curious if this is something I should factor in.

Thanks!

Also, to maybe fuel a little more feedback, Is now a safe time to upgrade? I realize 1366 will be around for a decent amount of time, but with the rumor's of sandy bridge and bulldozer as well as the ATI 6xxx series, I'm kinda curious if this is something I should factor in.

Thanks!
Honestly, if you plan to buy, buy the best you can buy at the time. Once you start waiting, you'll never stop waiting because there's always going to be new things the next day you purchase something.

Case - Antec 900 - Keep from old system.

CPU Cooler - Zalman 9700 - Keep from old system and order bracket.

Mother Board - EVGA X58 1366 Classified or Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R

CPU - Intel Core i7 930

Memory - G.Skill Ripjaw F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI

HDD - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB

SDD - Still up in the air about this. I would like something 80GB+. Any recommendations on solid performers?

GPU - EVGA 460 1GB x2

PSU - Stay current - 900w

DVD Drive - Stay Current

THoughts? Comments? Concerns? Recommendations?

Thanks!

I'm about to upgrade as well, and have been gathering info as of late. My last build (mobo/cpu/psu are the only things left) was in early 2007 also. I did however, delve into the world of SSD. I've had an OCZ Vertex 60gb since early October, and even with my old chipset, it is a monster. I'd hold off on getting one at the moment if you don't already have one, because 6 gb/s drives are about to go mainstream (crucial is currently the only manufacturer with a SATA3 version out)

Once OCZ releases their SATA3 SSDs, the older ones will go down in price, so you can go that route and save money, or you can get what is more current, since the SATA3 interface is slowly transitioning at the moment. The OCZ support team on their forums is simply amazing, and I wouldn't buy from any other brand just because of how helpful their staff, and the readers there have been.

I'm going to order in about a week or so, and have narrowed it down to:

CPU: i7 930
RAM: Whatever G.Skill/Corsair/OCZ 1600 CAS 7 memory is cheapest with a decent heat spreader
MOBO: Still undecided between UD3R and the ASUS P6X58D-E
PSU: Corsair HX750

Re-purposing the other components from my current build SSD/HDD Optical Drive and case. Hope I could help you a little, since we're kind of in the same boat, just laying out my scenario and plan of action. I wouldn't get any of the 3 Gb/s SSDs at this point in time, unless I got an amazing deal on two 60gb Vertex drives to RAID0 ( or in my case a single 60gb since I already have one :) )

I'm about to upgrade as well, and have been gathering info as of late. My last build (mobo/cpu/psu are the only things left) was in early 2007 also. I did however, delve into the world of SSD. I've had an OCZ Vertex 60gb since early October, and even with my old chipset, it is a monster. I'd hold off on getting one at the moment if you don't already have one, because 6 gb/s drives are about to go mainstream (crucial is currently the only manufacturer with a SATA3 version out)

Once OCZ releases their SATA3 SSDs, the older ones will go down in price, so you can go that route and save money, or you can get what is more current, since the SATA3 interface is slowly transitioning at the moment. The OCZ support team on their forums is simply amazing, and I wouldn't buy from any other brand just because of how helpful their staff, and the readers there have been.

I'm going to order in about a week or so, and have narrowed it down to:

CPU: i7 930
RAM: Whatever G.Skill/Corsair/OCZ 1600 CAS 7 memory is cheapest with a decent heat spreader
MOBO: Still undecided between UD3R and the ASUS P6X58D-E
PSU: Corsair HX750

Re-purposing the other components from my current build SSD/HDD Optical Drive and case. Hope I could help you a little, since we're kind of in the same boat, just laying out my scenario and plan of action. I wouldn't get any of the 3 Gb/s SSDs at this point in time, unless I got an amazing deal on two 60gb Vertex drives to RAID0 ( or in my case a single 60gb since I already have one :) )

Reusing your graphics card from 2007? That doesn't sound smart, unless you don't game. Then it's perfectly fine.

Reusing your graphics card from 2007? That doesn't sound smart, unless you don't game. Then it's perfectly fine.

my mobo/psu/cpu are the only things left from the original build

i have an HD4870 now

waiting for the 6000 series to come out to pick up a 5850/70 depending on the prices

Any thoughts on the motherboard?

EVGA Classy (Good deal going on right now), ASUS P6T Deluxe, or GA-X58A-UD3R?

Just curious.

Any thoughts on the motherboard?

EVGA Classy (Good deal going on right now), ASUS P6T Deluxe, or GA-X58A-UD3R?

Just curious.

only one of those three with sata 6 gb/s is the UD3R. i take it you are like me and don't want to upgrade for a while after building this rig, so having usb 3 and sata3 will be nice so you can run corresponding drives in the future. i know you're always behind the times when it comes to computers, because even when you buy the latest and greatest, in a testing facility there are things being tested and developed that are generations beyond yours, but it would be nice to have sata3 and usb3 methinks

Back