• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4670 lagging in games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bakercake

Well when I play games like tf2, starcaft2, and GTA4 I get like 3ms lag spikes. On GTA4 when I use recommended settings it lags and I can only play comfortable on the lowest setting at 800x600. I see other people with a close setup to my rig and their able to play on high settings getting 30+ fps. My old computer a Dx4200-09 was able to play the game nice at medium setting. My drivers are up to date I don't know whats wrong. My monitor max res is 1600x900, 16:9, 20inches. When I play other games this issue pops up sometimes.

gpu.png

Well when I play games like tf2, starcaft2, and GTA4 I get like 3ms lag spikes. On GTA4 when I use recommended settings it lags and I can only play comfortable on the lowest setting at 800x600. I see other people with a close setup to my rig and their able to play on high settings getting 30+ fps. My old computer a Dx4200-09 was able to play the game nice at medium setting. My drivers are up to date I don't know whats wrong. My monitor max res is 1600x900, 16:9, 20inches. When I play other games this issue pops up sometimes.

Well, the 4670 is pretty old.. Lots of people have issues with GTA4 regardless of hardware I hear. Perhaps its time to upgrade your video card!

That card does look decent as a low end upgrade! DX 11 and lower power consumption are excellent...

Something ain't right there. I have a dual core e5200 and 4670 with 512 MB and it returns about 30fps@1440x900 in gta4. The textures are set to medium, and I can't change that. In your case they're probably high, but still, it should perform better.

You could play GTA4 with medium settings with a HD3200 integrated gpu? The HD4670 isn't too powerful a card, the HD5770 is a bit slower, but comparable to a HD4870 in terms of performance. It should handle most games on medium-high settings at least.

Something ain't right there. I have a dual core e5200 and 4670 with 512 MB and it returns about 30fps@1440x900 in gta4. The textures are set to medium, and I can't change that. In your case they're probably high, but still, it should perform better.

I think it was mentioned in another post somewhere, that gta4 is a quirky game that runs fine on some hardware and awful on other setups. If I remember right, a user had a 5970 as his video card and he couldn't get the game to run correctly. I myself have no experience with the game and its behavior on a pc.

The 5770 is not a 'low-end upgrade', it is a significant upgrade from a 4670. I'm guessing the OP has a problem with his ram, or a hardware issue with the video card.

Spikes like this are generally due to misconfigured hardware (specificailly RAM timings or an overclock), or faulty hardware. If everything you had was performing as it should, you would be using medium settings fine.

Back