• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New core i5-750 build. Can't get RAM to 1600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arjones85

Registered
Just finished my new build, and attempted to overclock to 4Ghz (of course!). I was not able to get it to stay under 85C, however was able to get a stable 3.7Ghz overclock using 177 base clock and a X21 multiplier, however this lowered my RAM's speed down to 1420Mhz.

This makes me sad as the RAM I purchased is rated for 1600. It will not boot at 1770, which is the next step up my BIOS allows me to select. I am hoping you guys might be able to help! :bday:

Here is my CPUZ information:

Code:
CPU-Z 1.50 report file
Processor(s)	 
Number of processors	1
Number of cores	4 per processor
Number of threads	4 per processor
Name	Intel Core i5
Code Name	Lynnfield
Specification	Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz
Package	Socket 1160 LGA
Family/Model/Stepping	6.E.5
Extended Family/Model	6.1E
Core Stepping	
Technology	45 nm
Core Speed	3728.6 MHz
Multiplier x Bus speed	21.0 x 177.6 MHz
Stock frequency	2666 MHz
Instruction sets	MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, EM64T
L1 Data cache (per processor)	4 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L1 Instruction cache (per processor)	4 x 32 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L2 cache (per processor)	4 x 256 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L3 cache (per processor)	8 MBytes, 16-way set associative, 64-byte line size

Chipset & Memory	 

Northbridge	Intel IDD131 rev. 11
Southbridge	Intel ID3B06 rev. 06
Graphic Interface	PCI-Express
PCI-E Link Width	x16
PCI-E Max Link Width	x16
Memory Type	DDR3
Memory Size	4096 MBytes
Memory Frequency	710.3 MHz (2:8)
CAS# Latency (tCL)	9.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# (tRCD)	9 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP)	9 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS)	24 clocks
Command Rate (CR)	1T
System	 
System Manufacturer	MSI
System Name	MS-7635
System S/N	To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Mainboard Vendor	MSI
Mainboard Model	H55M-ED55 (MS-7635)
BIOS Vendor	American Megatrends Inc.
BIOS Version	V1.3
BIOS Date	02/02/2010

Memory SPD	 
Module 1	DDR3, PC3-10700H (667 MHz), 2048 MBytes, Mushkin
Module 2	DDR3, PC3-10700H (667 MHz), 2048 MBytes, Mushkin

This is stable at a 1.105 VCore, everything else at Auto.

This is the motherboard I purchased (Newegg shellshocker deal!): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

Ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

I've been through all the various BIOS options and cannot seem to find anywhere to be able to force this RAM to operate at anywhere close to 1600. Am I just stuck at 1400?

Let me know if there's any additional information I can provide!

The RAM timings and voltage are on the newegg link. Here you go:

Model
Brand Mushkin Enhanced
Series Blackline
Model 996778
Type 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
Tech Spec
Capacity 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Speed DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Cas Latency 9
Timing 9-9-9-24
Voltage 1.65V
Multi-channel Kit Dual Channel Kit
Heat Spreader Yes
Features FrostByte Heatsink
Manufacturer Warranty
Parts Lifetime limited
Labor Lifetime limited

you can see if you can get it to run at 195 x 19 and it will net you 1560 with an 8x mem divider on the RAM which is as close as you'll get at 3.7. If you can get 3.8 (200 x 19) with low enough temps you can get an even 1600. This is all dependant on how high you can get the BCLK on the board though.

you can see if you can get it to run at 195 x 19 and it will net you 1560 with an 8x mem divider on the RAM which is as close as you'll get at 3.7. If you can get 3.8 (200 x 19) with low enough temps you can get an even 1600. This is all dependant on how high you can get the BCLK on the board though.

Thanks! I gave it a shot and it booted without complaint, but wasn't stable at all in the Intel Burn Test :(

I would try the following settings:
200x19
1.2vcore
1.2 vtt
1.2v PCH
8x memory multiplier
1.65v ram

If it'll boot at 200x19 but isn't stable you're close, a bit more vtt or vcore or v PCH may do the job for you.

Thanks!

I could get it stable at 3.8 before, just the heat was such an issue. 1.105 VCore is about the highest I can go due to temperature (it hits 83 C in max burn test on that).

I use the Corsair H50. I think I may have just hit its heat wall. If I want to go higher I may need to find a different water cooler setup.

I'll try raising the PCH though and see if it makes a difference. It may be that and not the VCore (hopefully).

Gave it a shot, it just hard freezes when starting the burn test. Gonna have to throw more VCore at it than my 1.105, and can't do that with my current cooler. Oh well =(

I'd try adding some more vtt to it as well. At least on mine when I was testing a hard freeze was due to to low vtt and fainling with errors was vcore.

Edit: Also what are your ambient temps? 83c sounds really high to me with that cooler for that vcore.

H55M-ED55 + MSI Control center

I'm running an i5 with the MSI H55M-ED55 and an compiling information for overclocking. The computer service person whom I had build it, not that I am uncapable of doing so, said there would be no reason to overclock.

It seems most people whom are overclocking are editing directly in the BIOS the old fashioned way. Any one used the OCGenie button and the MSI Control Center? Is it safe?

You most likely 'need' to start your own thread with your question since most are n0t going to read down into this thread by the thread's title and see or answer your question. That is how most forums work.

I'm running an i5 with the MSI H55M-ED55 and an compiling information for overclocking. The computer service person whom I had build it, not that I am uncapable of doing so, said there would be no reason to overclock.

It seems most people whom are overclocking are editing directly in the BIOS the old fashioned way. Any one used the OCGenie button and the MSI Control Center? Is it safe?

Back