• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Graphics card problems!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SeanyCozzie24v

Registered
hi there new to the forum. i'm having trouble installing a plait geforce 8400gs super graphics card. first when i install the card and plug my vga cable into it i get nothing. i tried to disbale my onboard video from the bios but there was no option to do so. i then tried disabling it form the xp device manager. when the card is plugged in, windows does not detect it. i then had to buy a new 550w psu. because my old psu was only 250w. still nothing. i know the card is getting power because the fan is spinning. i then looked at my pci slot. is this right for this card?
Still03.jpg
this is what pc wizard tells me about my pci-e slot
PCI-Express Information :
Number of connectors : 1

Bus PCI-Express :
Device : MCP73 PCIe Bridge
Version : 1.0
Port : 0
Physical Slot : #0
Slot Populated : Yes
Link Width : x16 (max. x16)
Link Speed : 2.5 GB/s

Bus PCI-Express :
Port : 1
Slot Populated : No
Link Width : x1 (max. x1)

Bus PCI-Express :
Port : 2
Slot Populated : Yes
Link Width : x1 (max. x1)
also i have heard of motherboard jumpers. does my mobo have one?
Still05.jpg ]
pic of my card
Still01.jpg
pic of my psu
Still06.jpg
any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

:welcome:

If it does not have an option in BIOS it should do the switch automatically. However, add the card again, but still use the onboard video, for now until the driver is installed for the new card.

That PCI-e card may be slightly faster than your onboard...

how can i install the drivers for the card when the card isn't detected???
also this is what i found on the nvidia website about the card
Specifications •Bus interface: PCI Express
•RAMDACs: 400 MHz
•NVIDIA® unified architecture with GigaThread™ technology
•Full Microsoft® DirectX® 10 Shader Model 4.0 support
•16x full-screen anti-aliasing
•True 128-bit floating point high dynamic-range (HDR) lighting
•NVIDIA® Quantum Effects™ physics processing technology
•Dual-link DVI output supports one 2560x1600 resolution display
•NVIDIA® PureVideo™ HD technology
•HDCP capable
•OpenGL® 3.2 support
•NVIDIA ForceWare® Unified Driver Architecture (UDA)
•NVIDIA® Lumenex™ Engine
Minimum System Requirement Graphics card require:

•PCI Express or PCI Express 2.0-compliant motherboard with one x16 graphics
•Minimum 300W or greater system power supply
•Supported Operating Systems: Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP

Looks like an ECS board and that power supply looks like junk if possible I suggest you return it and get something better even if it has less wattage

the make and model of the computer which was bought christmas 2008 is a Packard Bell iMedia B2316 AIO and the motherboard number says MCP73VT-PM.
specs from pc wizard of mainboard
General Information :
Manufacturer : Packard Bell BV
Product : MCP73VT-PM
Serial Number : 00000000
Support MP : Yes, 2 CPU(s)
Version MPS : 1.4

Chassis Information :
Manufacturer : Packard Bell BV
Type : Desktop
Version : To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Serial Number : 50424E
Asset : To Be Filled By O.E.M.

OEM Support SLIC :
HPET : Yes
SLIC : Yes
SLP OA : v2.0

Sensor Information :
Hardware Monitoring : ITE IT8718F

On-Board Device Information :
Device : To Be Filled By O.E.M. (Video)
Embedded Controller : Yes

Slots Information :
Slot AGP 4X : 32-bit [3.3v, Shared Slot Opening] - In Use
Slot PCI : 32-bit [3.3v, Shared Slot Opening] - Empty

External Connectors :
Mouse : PS/2
Keyboard : PS/2
USB : Access Bus (USB)
USB : Access Bus (USB)
Parallel ECP/EPP : DB25 male
Serial 16550A Compatible : DB-9 male
Audio : Mini-jack (headphones)
Audio : Mini-jack (headphones)

Internal Connectors :
J1A1 :
J1A1 :
J2A2 :
J2A2 :
J4A1 :
J2A1 :
J6A1 :
J6A1 :
J6B1 - AUX IN : On Board Sound Input from CD-ROM
J6B2 - CDIN : On Board Sound Input from CD-ROM
J6J2 - PRI IDE : On Board IDE
J6J1 - SEC IDE : On Board IDE
J4J1 - FLOPPY : On Board Floppy
J9H1 - FRONT PNL : 9 Pin Dual Inline (pin 10 cut)
J1B1 - CHASSIS REAR FAN :
J2F1 - CPU FAN :
J8B4 - FRONT FAN :
J9G2 - FNT USB :
J6C3 - FP AUD :
J9G1 - CONFIG :
J8C1 - SCSI LED :
J9J2 - INTRUDER :
J9G4 - ITP :
J2H1 - MAIN POWER :

EEPROM Information :
Type : EEPROM Specific
Address : 0x57
the chipset is a nvidia geforce 7050/nforce 610i.
also that psu was bought from packard bell themselves. so i don't think its junk. how can i tell if its actually putting out 550w

got this from another website!! read this

It looks like the manufacturer of that motherboard is not packard bell, its BY a company called ECS (www.ecsusa.com)and the code is different from the one on the motherboard! why do these manufacturers not tell people the proper things, why??The new code ive been given is ECS -GF7050VT-M Motherboard which is a far cry from BV- MCP73VT-PM which was actually visible on the motherboard when i opened the PC. Try looking for BV- MCP73VT-PM and you will get nowhere....instead everybody directs you to the packard bell website and all you find are tons of VISTA Drivers and NOT XP drivers.My persistance paid off and thanks to this support guy who mentioned that most of the manufacturers like toshiba, packard bell, etc do not produce their own motherboards....and motherboards for Packard bell Pcs are often made by ECS...

Looks like an ECS board and that power supply looks like junk if possible I suggest you return it and get something better even if it has less wattage

just found out it is a ecs board. model number is GF7050VT-M. look it up and tell me if it is capable of running this graphics card

I doubt the power supply is the problem but its still junk and highly overrated calling it a 550w. Have you tried installing the card and then clearing cmos to see if it'll detect it properly then?

I doubt the power supply is the problem but its still junk and highly overrated calling it a 550w. Have you tried installing the card and then clearing cmos to see if it'll detect it properly then?

what power do you think the psu is actually putting out. because i have doubts myself. is there anyway to tell?? how do i clear the cmos

Try intalling the card but keep your monitor plugged to the on-board gpu, then go on pallits website and install the proper drivers. reboot but with the monitor connected to the card.

what power do you think the psu is actually putting out. because i have doubts myself. is there anyway to tell?? how do i clear the cmos

24Ax12v=288W

That PSU is actually an old ATX design, that hasn't been the current standard since the Athlon XP+ days. Keep in mind, we are seeing 400W PSU's with 30A for the 12V rail, giving us 360W at the 12V side.

If your system is fairly current, the chances of needing the amperage that your PSU has on the 3.3V and 5V are less than slim to none. Basically, all of those amperages equal out to 550W, but the power isn't actually allocated where you need it. I would recommend sending that one back, and try looking for something like a Corsair or Antec.:beer:

is it enough to power the card though? my card is powered by the pci-e slot. not by a seperate cable.

A link to an online store you can shop at would be helpful I have no idea what you have access to or what things are worth over there.

Back