• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

16/8/8 16/16/16? 16/16/16/16 I'm confused

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Exempt

I have the Asus Rampage Extreme iii, recently on the phone with Ati engineering, the fellow told me that my motherboard scaled my triple crossfire down to 8/8/8 but I was under the impression it was at 16/8/8. Is there any 16/16/16 motherboard available? I know EVGA has the quad board out that does do 16/16/16/16, as well as the UD9 by gigabyte, but these all tailor to the quad setups. I have a fourth 5870 that I could add to my gaming rig, is the gaming performance on a 16/16/16/16 THAT much better than on 16/8/8?

I'm not much for benchmarking, more for gaming and video editing, AE, cinema 4d etc.

By the way the ati engineer called my motherboard "old and outdated" what a nob head

One more thing , I noticed that all the quad gpu mobos lack the slot for my XFI sound card, do most high end gamers use onboard sound?.

Good posts there, and it was a great read!

Well then what about the differences between 3x crossfire and 4x crossfire?

I have a 5870 in the box just sitting around...might as well use it.

wait wait wait, am I a total ******, or will 4x 5870's already fit on my Asus Rampage extreme iii? but they will be at 16/8/8/8 correct? I wonder if it'll fit in my level 10 case, ooooh cant wait to get home if so!

Thanks for the correction. I thought the R3E only supported 3-way SLI and Xfire, and the Xpander was needed for both 4-way SLI and Xfire...

Back