• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How the heck are we doing what we do ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
I was looking at our team stats over at EOC and I noticed a lot of gray lines starting in the second page. The more pages you go back, the worse it gets. I don't remember it being so low (294 active users).

However look at the points we're pumping out as a team in spite of how small we are compared to the other top ten producers. Imagine if we were 2 or 3 times larger. I'm not complaining, I'm amazed at what we are doing now and how few of us are folding at the level we are.

Attachments

• T32 EOC stats.jpg
    T32 EOC stats.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 287
  • T32 EOC stats2.jpg
    T32 EOC stats2.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 296
No. They passed us and kicked us down to #3 but have fallen off since. They even were #1 for awhile until [H] took it back from them. EVGA is really kickin' 'A' because people are getting recruited as they go on the EVGA site looking for video cards. They are running a lot of GPU WUs compared to us. We are more balanced running both SMP2 and GPU2/3 work. But with less than 300 active folders, we still are the #7 producing team in the world. EVGA has over 1000 active folders.

No. They passed us and kicked us down to #3 but have fallen off since. They even were #1 for awhile until [H] took it back from them. EVGA is really kickin' 'A' because people are getting recruited as they go on the EVGA site looking for video cards. They are running a lot of GPU WUs compared to us. We are more balanced running both SMP2 and GPU2/3 work. But with less than 300 active folders, we still are the #7 producing team in the world. EVGA has over 1000 active folders.

I agree about eVGA, even though I have a pair of 9800GTs, a GTX260, and an X58 3xSLI mobo all by them, I didn't sign up. It was/is a good marketing move to lock folks in with a cash incentive before the ATI client was available and no one knows what kind of PPD that will herald in and Stanford seems to be quite quiet about the whole affair.

The whole eVGA thing is kinda shady IMOP.

You buy a card install the drivers and for people that don't know or don't pay attention they install the client and are folding for eVGA and don't even know it.

That is how they are getting alot of points and users!!!!

I didn't know that :mad:

They are solid red till halfway down page 4. We only have half of page 1 red.
Looks like they all have their own user names from the sign up process. How about passkeys?

Without a passkey, all those points could be erased if enough stink got raised about this. OTOH maybe Stanford would erase anyone who complained about their highest GPU producer.

I didn't know that :mad:

They are solid red till halfway down page 4. We only have half of page 1 red.
Looks like they all have their own user names from the sign up process. How about passkeys?

Without a passkey, all those points could be erased if enough stink got raised about this. OTOH maybe Stanford would erase anyone who complained about their highest GPU producer.

LOL

You buy a card install the drivers and for people that don't know or don't pay attention they install the client and are folding for eVGA and don't even know it.

Thats not true... is it?

It didnt install on my GTX 285...

Thats not true... is it?

It didnt install on my GTX 285...

I bought a gts250 for a build I did and it was on the driver disc and if I remember correctly I had to uncheck it or not accept the file at all to get away from installing it. What I'm saying is if it's on the disc that comes with the OEM product you buy you most likely install everything that you think you need or that you think they think you need. I think that is how alot of it is going right now for eVGA. It's on the disc so people are clicking it. You would think that it would a default passkey or ID and team, but it might be a loader with eVGA's team information on it and they are just folders for "Anonymous" on eVGA's team.

I could be WAAAAAAAY off base but I remember seeing the F@H logo and an accept box for F@H.

All they would need to do is have you fill out a form with your information and use that to populate the .cfg file in your name. I don't know how the passkey would work unless they have a bin of them to give away.

Here's how I think they are doing it.

Earn EVGA Bucks For Folding with EVGA! :sly:

I think our team's dedication to folding will prevail over EVGA's scheming. How many people are going to to sign up for the EVGA team then quickly lose interest? Even our own team statistics show that some think it's fun for awhile then peter off as the interest wains. In the end it comes down to dedication. We just need a few more dedicated members is all.

What we need is a SUPER WEAPON

8 x 8 x 2 = 128 threads :drool: How quick can it do one big adv? SECONDS ;)

Or there is always our SUPER SECRET WEAPON

How many do we want? 2? 4? 8??

48 x 8 = 384 (w/o HT) 384 cores, can FAH even scale that high??

I'm doing my part. :)
I think our team's dedication to folding will prevail over EVGA's scheming. How many people are going to to sign up for the EVGA team then quickly lose interest? Even our own team statistics show that some think it's fun for awhile then peter off as the interest wains. In the end it comes down to dedication. We just need a few more dedicated members is all.

No they aren't.. they run promotions giving away hardware to top folders..... if they were installing F@H with out users knowing it Standford would shut them down in a heartbeat.

I think OCF is just efficient, teams like MAximumPC has people with OEM boxes told to install the client and they go with it, they dont add things like -smp4 to get the most power out of their boxes or they dont run the clients 24/7,

Thats the otherside i am sure most people who do sign up, sign up and completly forgot about installing some folding client, unless it is the GUI version and they see it and close it and remove it, most people will let it run all day and night they use their computers :) and EVGA can afford to give some cash now and then to keep contests like that going.

ok this may seem like a wierd question, but if i ran a folding at home app during the hours of 2200-0500 what would the impact to my power bill be. (btw it would be on a 5850 overclocked to 5870 specs)

also what is more productive, ps3 folding at home, or gpu folding at home(5850)

also what is more productive, ps3 folding at home, or gpu folding at home(5850)

ps3 slim power consumption is about 150w
ps3 older power consuption is about 200w(I think)

ps3 is 400ppd
5870 produces around 4k ppd

My guess is the 5850 will use 200w+

I would say use both :D If not then use the card instead of the ps3.

I figured out a while back if I run both my i7 rigs 24/7 which is ~1200w of power my electric bill will only go up about $34 per month. Depends a lot on your power costs though.

Back