• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new to the world of cooling and OCing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MasterClone

i am new to pretty much everything on the website, and i must you guys really know your stuff. to get to the point. i just built a computer for a friend of mine, for my time and labor he just gave me his old computer. its a P2 233 with 64 mb of ram. i was just wondering how high i could OC this super rig if i put it in a small fridge, like a dorm fridge. any and all help is appreciated.

humbly yours,
MasterClone

p.s. again, DAMN YOU GUYS ARE SMART!!

Try it out while checking your temps. Your CPU was manufactured, I believe, before Intel started locking the multiplier, so you have that as an option, as well. :)

I'm not positive that your fridge would be able to help a whole lot, as I'm not really sure how much heat a PII usually puts out, but you might want to keep in mind that your drives don't really like the cold. Mechanical devices can be picky like that.

I dont think many MB's supported overclocking like they do now.

Might even be inpossable if you got no jumpers and stuff. no way you could have bios settings. Thats just a guess but i'll eat YOUR shorts if you do.

Welcome to the Forums!

The main page is the best place to start: cpu database and the Beginners' Guides. A lot of good info, and you can learn some of the "verbal shorthand" that gets used.

The best place to ask for more information after that is the Intel CPU Forum.

Most important thing you need to know is who made the mobo (motherboard)- an overclockable mobo can make a bad chip do ok, but not all mobo can be oc'd I have a dual PII Supermicro thats great: fast, stable and never a glitch. Can't be overclocked 1 mhz though.

Whatshisname made a good point... your board might not be able to so any OC'ing at all... older boards weren't really made to OC... it would be a good experiment though, keep us posted.

Howdy Masterclone and welcome. I'm afraid you'll not have much luck with that system try anyway though, then you'll become disgusted and buy a new rig. Thats what happened to me anyway. Hooked:cool:

thx for all your help guys, this is by far the kewlest forum ive ever been to.

i read some info on my mobo and other stuff. for all the work i put into OCing this P2 i won't get much return. now that doesn't mean im not willing to shoot a monkey into space :p but im not planning to dump to much if any money into this rig.

just wondering, how many of you guys have seen the movie "real genius." i love that flick

humbly yours,
MasterClone

Back