• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tri-SLI GTX 280 on 1000 W supply

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amnios

System...

i7 920 - (not overclocked)
NOC cooler
6 gigs corsair (not overclocked)
2 GTX BFG 280 OC editions
2 SSdrives
4 regular HD's
1 DVD drive
Gamepad
Wireless keyboard/mouse
Corsair HX1000 PS

Can I add another BFG GTX 280 OC? I expect to use 100% fanspeeds too in order to manage heat on at least the two bottom cards. I'm concerned about my power supply

Have found conflicting advice.... looking for opinions here.

The HX1000 can easily handle it. You'll want to OC the processor a bit to get the most out of the video cards, too. Even with the processor overclock, you'd be looking at about 800 watts. The HX will run about 84% efficient at that load, and chug away happily 24/7.

The HX1000 can easily handle it. You'll want to OC the processor a bit to get the most out of the video cards, too. Even with the processor overclock, you'd be looking at about 800 watts. The HX will run about 84% efficient at that load, and chug away happily 24/7.
Cant say anymore than this....+1 :thup:

Though WHY 3 280's would be my question? Multi monitor setup? Scaling is pretty poor after 2 cards last I recall, not worth the money. If I was you I would sell both 280's and get a single 480. Less hassle.

AFAIK a GTX280 SLi setup will outperform a GTX480, only lacking DX11. Although Tri SLI does not scale too well. I would look at a HD5970 or GTX470 SLI minimum as a more worthwhile upgrade.

That's good news to hear about the power requirements.

Why the Tri - SLI???

1) I have never had TriSLI... it would be a personal accomplishment. :rock:

2) Even though the scaling is not perfect, it will help... which is good. :comp:

3) I already have SLI... so if I pay say $200 for the third card and want to upgrade a year or so from now... I think I could then still get maybe $150 for the card selling it down the road... Tri SLI is then only $50 cost to me overall.... that's a good deal considering the above 2 points... (p.s. an oil change for my car is nearly $50... LOL)

4) TRI-SLI will actually save me $$$ on my heating bill as my comp generates already some impressive heat. :blah:

Back