• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sempron 140 vs my Opteron 165

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

badboyeee

Would an OC'd and unlocked Sempron 140 be faster than my OC'd Opteron?

How easy it it to unlock the core on a Sempron 140?

If you can get the Sempron into dual-core and get it's speed higher than your Opty it might perform better. Keep in mind even though the Sempron is a newer generation it's also a laptop CPU, not a desktop, and has fewer transistors, if I remember correctly.

The more advanced design may be 10-15% better at execution but if there's 10-15% less CPU (maybe less) it balances out. On the good side, the Sempron won't use nearly as much power nor produce as much heat ... :)

If you can get the Sempron into dual-core and get it's speed higher than your Opty it might perform better. Keep in mind even though the Sempron is a newer generation it's also a laptop CPU, not a desktop, and has fewer transistors, if I remember correctly.

The more advanced design may be 10-15% better at execution but if there's 10-15% less CPU (maybe less) it balances out. On the good side, the Sempron won't use nearly as much power nor produce as much heat ... :)

Thanks for the response. I'm thinking if the Sempron 140 does get unlocked w/o OC, it will perform just the same as my Opteron OC'd @ 2.6-2.7ghz. Like you said they will perform better at certain things but equal out overall.

I'm finding the 140 can possibly OC to 3.5ghz. With that speed and unlocked, i think it may beat the 165 hands down.

I'll try to find some specs and/or benchmarks and post them.

ps. I see your still rockin the Opty 939 as well :rock:

I've got three of them running around the house - the Opty 180 in my sig, a 165 @ 2.9 GHz I use as a file server, and my wife's 4400+ @ 2.6 GHz. Until last spring I was also running an FX-60 and another Opty 165 in my grandson's machines that I keep around for them when they're over. Unfortunately the Noctua fans I had as exhaust fans took a dump and over-heated something (both rigs) and I haven't gotten them back together as yet ...

Your seem to be taking it for granted that the particular Sempron you get will unlock. Many of the will, apparently, but many of them wont'. And do you have a mobo that has core unlocking ability?

For the price to get a mobo that can unlock, you might as well dole out more cash to get a better CPU.

I think an Athlon II 250 will run circles around that 165 (at least not OCed).

Yeah, an Athlon II would definitely be faster than a 939 Opteron. The K10.5 is a bit faster clock-for-clock, and also has a good bit more headroom on clockspeeds as well. The Sempron would be faster, too, if you can unlock it, but as has already been pointed out, that's a gamble. If you can't unlock it, then it would probably be a pretty big step down, considering how many things take advantage of multiple cores nowadays.

Also, going to an Athlon II 250 may or may not even be a noticeable difference... that kinda depends on what the rest of the system is like, and what you do with it.

Last edited:
I've got three of them running around the house - the Opty 180 in my sig, a 165 @ 2.9 GHz I use as a file server, and my wife's 4400+ @ 2.6 GHz. Until last spring I was also running an FX-60 and another Opty 165 in my grandson's machines that I keep around for them when they're over. Unfortunately the Noctua fans I had as exhaust fans took a dump and over-heated something (both rigs) and I haven't gotten them back together as yet ...

wow hehe.. its all about the 939s.. are you holding out for bulldozer?

Your seem to be taking it for granted that the particular Sempron you get will unlock. Many of the will, apparently, but many of them wont'. And do you have a mobo that has core unlocking ability?

do you know the percent chance of unlocking? is it like 50/50? no mobo with ACC, not yet..

For the price to get a mobo that can unlock, you might as well dole out more cash to get a better CPU.

I think an Athlon II 250 will run circles around that 165 (at least not OCed).

sempron 140 unlocks to a Athlon II X2 tho? if i do get the sempron 140, it will be for temporary til bulldozer comes in..

Yeah, an Athlon II would definitely be faster than a 939 Opteron. The K10.5 is a bit faster clock-for-clock, and also has a good bit more headroom on clockspeeds as well. The Sempron would be faster, too, if you can unlock it, but as has already been pointed out, that's a gamble. If you can't unlock it, then it would probably be a pretty big step down, considering how many things take advantage of multiple cores nowadays.

Also, going to an Athlon II 250 may or may not even be a noticeable difference... that kinda depends on what the rest of the system is like, and what you do with it.

im trying to find the percent chance to unlock it, then OC to 3.5ghz.. do u know? havent figured out the rest of the system to be yet..

sempron 140 unlocks to a Athlon II X2 tho?

No, the Sempron X2 does not have as much L2 cache as an Athlon II X2. 256kb x 2vs. 1mb x 2

Badboyee, forgive me for saying so but I think you'd better do more thorough research into these things. You sound like you're about to go off half-cocked and throw some money down the drain.

Last edited:
wow hehe.. its all about the 939s.. are you holding out for bulldozer?
No, I've got a 940BE crunching rig but, quite frankly, I don't need that much horsepower for my everyday tasks. I occasionally VPN into my Q6600 to encode a video but that's about it - my Opty can handle everything else ... :)

im trying to find the percent chance to unlock it, then OC to 3.5ghz.. do u know? havent figured out the rest of the system to be yet..

The dual core sempron is only $1 more at newegg. Lower multi... but if you must have a dual core... its a surer deal.

Mine unlocked np. It is running in my HTPC/server now :) (not really a HTPC I removed the tuner)

140 at least, was only limited in OCing by motherboard. I did not have one that could handle much past 300HTREF... so 4GHz on the 140 was my limit (on air, water and DIce)

The dual core sempron is only $1 more at newegg. Lower multi... but if you must have a dual core... its a surer deal.

Mine unlocked np. It is running in my HTPC/server now :) (not really a HTPC I removed the tuner)

140 at least, was only limited in OCing by motherboard. I did not have one that could handle much past 300HTREF... so 4GHz on the 140 was my limit (on air, water and DIce)

4ghz nice! i havent throughly researched the success rate (well im trying to ask here hehe).. but so far from what ive been reading it seems like 75%..

its cool how 4-5 years ago one of the highest-end amd cpu's like the opty (sorta) is now underperforming against the lowest-end of current gen amd cpus. (when both overclocked)

now im considering getting a sempron 140 (it wasnt really my intention to, lol). its only $30 just something i can toy around with while i wait for bulldozer. not considering the sempron x2, doesnt seem any fun hehe.now i just have to wait if the current AM3 890 mobos will be compatible, amd better announce something this weekend.

Touche'! Sounds like from reading the reviews in Egg that a lot of those unlock but keep in mind you always get a skewed sample when people are self-reporting. With purchaser reviews and forum strings you hear disproportionately from those who were able to do this. Any kind of objective evaluation of unlocking success would depend on reviews of those who purchased a large lot of something and tested it for unlocking success percentage. Even then it is probably the case that one production lot varies from another in that regard.

I certainly would not make a CPU purchase decision based on the expectation that I could unlock cores. It's the kind of thing I'd be more likely to try if I had a secondary computer I used for less demanding applications for which a failed core unlock CPU would still be an upgrade or to pass it down to the kids' or grandma's computer if it didn't work out. Something like that.

Last edited:
now im considering getting a sempron 140 (it wasnt really my intention to, lol). its only $30 just something i can toy around with while i wait for bulldozer. not considering the sempron x2, doesnt seem any fun hehe.now i just have to wait if the current AM3 890 mobos will be compatible, amd better announce something this weekend.

Running mine on a Gigabyte 890GX for a HTPC/server. Latest BIOS adds core unlocking :)

Touche'! Sounds like from reading the reviews in Egg that a lot of those unlock but keep in mind you always get a skewed sample when people are self-reporting. With purchaser reviews and forum strings you hear disproportionately from those who were able to do this. Any kind of objective evaluation of unlocking success would depend on reviews of those who purchased a large lot of something and tested it for unlocking success percentage. Even then it is probably the case that one production lot varies from another in that regard.

I certainly would not make a CPU purchase decision based on the expectation that I could unlock cores. It's the kind of thing I'd be more likely to try if I had a secondary computer I used for less demanding applications for which a failed core unlock CPU would still be an upgrade or to pass it down to the kids' or grandma's computer if it didn't work out. Something like that.

Yeah I get what your saying. At first I was thinking of getting an Athlon II X2 and try to unlock. But nah, its better to just spend the extra $20 for the X3, at least I'll be guaranteed 3 cores. But at $30 for a Sempron 140, I think its worth the risk. I just need something to toy around with for probably a year while I wait for Bulldozer. If I can get the 140 to go dual core with 3.5 ghz, great! It will spank my Opty165. But if not, I think I can sell it easily, alot of HTPC'rs use them, at least I had fun trying :D I will still keep my Opteron system.

Well first tho, I'm hoping there are current AM3 boards that can support Zambezi. I have to wait for that news before I do anything.

Yeah I get what your saying. At first I was thinking of getting an Athlon II X2 and try to unlock. But nah, its better to just spend the extra $20 for the X3, at least I'll be guaranteed 3 cores. But at $30 for a Sempron 140, I think its worth the risk. I just need something to toy around with for probably a year while I wait for Bulldozer. If I can get the 140 to go dual core with 3.5 ghz, great! It will spank my Opty165. But if not, I think I can sell it easily, alot of HTPC'rs use them, at least I had fun trying :D I will still keep my Opteron system.

Well first tho, I'm hoping there are current AM3 boards that can support Zambezi. I have to wait for that news before I do anything.

Understood. I like to play sometimes too.

Back