• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why are Intel CPUs better then AMDs at lower clock speeds?(Cinebench)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evochuck

After doing a run of Cinebench, I noticed my 955BE OCed at 3.6g ( wich scored a 4.18 rating) was still significantly lower than the Core i7 860 clocked at 2.8g (800mb LESS!)

I cant find the reason to this, one other thing I noticed is the number of threads, sorry if it sounds noobish but what do threads do?:confused:

Architecture. It happened when the P4 was assassinated by the P3 and original Athlon.

The Intel architecture, As Archer briefly stated, is more efficient. Carries more data per clock cycle than does the current AMD architecture. To use an illustration, a 10 yard dump truck traveling at the same speed can transfer more dirt than a 6 yard dump truck per trip.

The Intel architecture, As Archer briefly stated, is more efficient. Carries more data per clock cycle than does the current AMD architecture. To use an illustration, a 10 yard dump truck traveling at the same speed can transfer more dirt than a 6 yard dump truck per trip.

Yet the intel chip uses more power in the process, just like the 10 yard dump truck will use more fuel.

It's a trade off. An intel chip at the same speed will use more power than an AMD chip, yet it will be able to handle more data.

Yet the intel chip uses more power in the process, just like the 10 yard dump truck will use more fuel.

It's a trade off. An intel chip at the same speed will use more power than an AMD chip, yet it will be able to handle more data.

I think that depends on the CPU though.

And don't forget the economics of this question. The fastest AMD CPUs offer 80% of the performance at 33% of the price of the fastest Intel CPUs.

And don't forget the economics of this question. The fastest AMD CPUs offer 80% of the performance at 33% of the price of the fastest Intel CPUs.

Dont forget about motherboard pricing. High end amd mobo runs around $200 while high end Intel boards go for around 300-400.

To me the extra performance isn't worth the price tag.

Dont forget about motherboard pricing. High end amd mobo runs around $200 while high end Intel boards go for around 300-400.

To me the extra performance isn't worth the price tag.

IMHO, this is what it comes down to. Unless you're benching and going for world records, you will never need more than a mid-range Amd chip. :shrug: For those hitting the WR's, be my guest to spend $1000 on a processor alone. :eek:

Back