• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

boot drive 1 internet, boot drive 2 no internet...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

homebuildit

I built a system very recently, using an ssd only as the drive. It worked ok, but couldn't OC.

So I did a 2nd boot install on my other new drive, WD cav black, 1tb 7200rpm 6gb/sec etc.

The problem is, the 2nd boot the internet doesn't work. My wife's pc is on the same router and her internet is fine. I have the same network cable that worked on my other boot drive connected identically as before, green connectivity indicator light is on at the lan connection on back of pc. I verified that the bios has lan enabled. I rebooted. I checked network settings in control panel, and one of the screen windows just comes up blank white. I can click back and it goes back a step in the control panel, but I click the networking link again and just a blank white window again. Rebooted, no luck. Tried ssd boot disk again, my internet is back on again.

So it looks like I need to try reinstalling w7 again on the hdd.

Any suggestions?

If you are referring to the network connections window shows blank, it sounds like a driver issue as it isnt seeing the adapter. I would suggest reinstalling the network driver before going to the extreme of a complete reinstall.

come to think of it, when I looked in the (btw it's home pc and I'm at work...) device manager there were three items with the yellow exclamaition mark for error all from the same tree item, bad were network adaptor, usb controller or something and I forget the third one. Wife was waiting for me so had to give up until the weekend.

Anyway driver could be, but the weird part is that I don't think I installed a nic driver on the ssd w7 install, but that one the www worked. Although, I may have and just don't recall it. I'll fool with the drivers, maybe see if the mobo cdrom has a magic driver fix somehow...otherwise I'll be trying the w7 reinstall, which would be unfortunate if it's not the problem.

All you need is the proper drivers no need to do a reinstall for nothing.

Agreed. Using the disk that came with your mobo, you can install the chipset drivers, usb drivers, and network drivers.

haha well that was pretty dumb, I just did it correctly last week, then I do a 2nd boot and can't figure out I have to run the setup cd duh...haha

Back