• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lapping?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
there is a local computer store here where I get alot of my parts. thay have the same system as I do. same cpu,hsf,motherboard my temps are 22F cooler by lapping with 1500 grit wet dry sandpaper and rounding cables. oh yea plus used radio shack's thermal grease and they use pads

so use round cables and good paste and dont worry about anything over 600 grit

1500 is as far as I go, some say 2000, my TP has more grit than 2000! Plus it is not easy to find. Everybit counts 600 don't cut it.

yea I think you are right I'm just saying that is what I did and had good results. from what I am thinking if you get too smooth a surface heatsink will be floating on top of the grease and with not so smooth but flat surface you would make better contact and the grease will just fill in the grooves. this is just a theory

Hell

when I lapped my block I started with 60 gritt... and there were places NOT getting scratched up..

:eek:

I guess it depends on what shape the item you are lapping is in

I'm not an expert at lappin but from now on my plan is basically , 60, 100, 150, 220, 400, and then 600

worked for me..and I didn't kill my CPU this time when putting the waterblock on... :eek:

Why lap at all then most HSs have least better than 600 finish? I start with 600 to 1500 granted its a small difference. Many small steps=one giant leap. Of course that is only my opinion.[edit] In fact why not scratch them up a bit with some 60 grit as neco advises.

Last edited:
Outhouse is right. I did buy a few sheets of 1000 to try out, but the difference was not worth the effort. Most important, when you get to the 600 is to keep flushing it periodically with some water that has some dish soap in it. I use a teaspoon of soap to a half cup of water. When you see metal particles floating in the slurry, rinse it off with some more of the water/soap mix and continue.

what he is saying is it wasn't worth his time for such a minimal difference.

lapping we do has nothing to do with finish.

it's only perpose is to flaten. make flater. smooth finish will not help heat flow.

Grande Juan said:
Why lap at all then most HSs have least better than 600 finish? I start with 600 to 1500 granted its a small difference. Many small steps=one giant leap. Of course that is only my opinion.
the reason is to get heatsink flat

Sorry there res0r9lm, sarcasm coming out in me again, guess you did'nt read my first post for this thread.

Using finer grits further reduces the valleys that must be filled by thermal grease. The less amounts of valleys equates to better heat flow between the HSF and the CPU giving better temps. However, the temp gains may be minimal.

my swiftech had a very nice finish on the bottom, i didn't even think it needed lapping, my load temp was 44. i started with 600 and that also made me think it didn't need to be lapped, it had full contact with the sandpaper on a thick piece of glass. i went ahead and worked down to 2000 and i could see myself in it perfectly. my temps are now down to 39 under load with case temp of 23. i just did this tonight and so the temps will probably drop a couple more degrees in a couple days as the as2 cures.

i think, smoother surfaces=closer fit=thinner more uniform thermal compound=better heat transfer..

just my two cents you know.......

Back