• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time looking into o/c

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Djynk

Registered
CPU --q9300
Motherboard-- Ep43-ud3l Gigabyte
Cooling- zalman CNPS9700LEd
Memory-- 2x2gig [ Samsung] 2x1gig memories[Hyundai electronic]. (DDR2) Total 6gig.
Power-- coolmax v600 600watts
case --Rosewill Smart One ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 5intake fans 2 exhaust fans.
Graphics Nvidia GeForce GTS250.

I just want to oc my cpu to 3.0 any advice guys?
I have never done anything like o/c, im very new.

If i just wanted to boost it to 3.0GHZ do i have to mess with the voltage stuff? or can i just up the fsb to 400x7.5 and make it 3.0GHZ. I have lot of questions please any 1 help me out!!!!

OK, I have total 2pair of rams 1 pair has 2gig pc2 6400 and other pair has 1gig pc2 5300 total of 6gigs of ram, If i were to oc how can i set these two different pairs of ram at same speed? or do i have to set them at same speed?

Whatever speed is set in the BIOS, both pairs will run at. There is no way to run them each at different speeds.

Warning, the P43 motherboards have only mediocre memory controllers, and your OCing potential will not be as good running both pairs as opposed to only one pair. If you're looking for a good OC, you're best off running only 4GB :thup:

Ah ha! so i went on and oc 5% 333 to 350 which increased my cpu to 2625, and I ran occt for 10min temp looked almost same as before. So do u consider it as stable? So if one pair of rams speeds were at 333 is it going to be harmful to go over its speed ?
Even with 2rams at 333, 350 was stable so do you think ill be pushing way to hard if i set my bus speed at 400?

Last edited:
Your ram is actually running @ 600mhz, you multiply 333 by 2, thats why its called DDR - Double Data Rate.
You can test your CPU with prime95 if you want to be sure that its 100% stable, but I think it should be, because the OC is not so major like going 3ghz straight away.
And yes, you should need atleast +.150 vcore increcement if you want to hit 3ghz, probably even more.
Every chip overclocks differently

So my best option to hit 3.0ghz is to get the pair of lower rams out and stick with 4 gigs of ram running at 400mhz? and maybe a slight increase in vcore?
400mhz X7.5=3.0ghz ?

So my best option to hit 3.0ghz is to get the pair of lower rams out and stick with 4 gigs of ram running at 400mhz? and maybe a slight increase in vcore?
400mhz X7.5=3.0ghz ?

Yes.
Get the 800mhz PC6400 rated RAM sticks in, lower the ram multiplier so the ram would run @ 667mhz and overclock your CPU, if it doesnt boot @ stock voltage bump it with +.150v and run prime95 for 12h to see if the OC is stable and monitor your temps aswell (running RealTemp while running prime95 to see min/max temps)

How do i lower the ram multiplier? I just went on and done 400x7.5 right now and it turned on lol. And why do you have to bump up the vcore?
Also my vcore was set at auto, and when i increased the bus speed vcore went up to 1.31 from 1.22
One more thing do i have to set my FSB:Ram 1to1? cuz it is now changed to 5:6

Back