• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case for SWTX motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ksroc

-
So the H8QG6-F motherboard is for sale with SWTX form factor. (16.48" x 13")

Other than Supermicro's own case, what else is there out there?

I don't mind doing some modding like drilling and tapping holes.

The Cooler Master CM Stacker 810 looks like it would work but,
you can't buy it any more.

The only thing that looks close would be the Cooler Master HAF932.

Maybe you could just bend those tabs down - but will it fit without cutting metal?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

TIA.

Last edited:
I own the Stacker 830, which I understand is similar in depth to the 810, and it snugly fits my (oversized) ATX Rampage-II mobo... so I can't believe that it would fit a server motherboard as big as the H8QG6

I have a couple of older larger cases and believe that you will have problems with locating an appropriate case. An old divided compartment ATX case might work with extensive mods, but cooling will be an issue. The closest that I have is an impossible to locate case, Lian-Li PC-78SCA, though you would need extreme luck to locate one.

In this case, your best bet would likely be the Supermicro chassis. I have several with no complaints, SC-846s.

There are few cases for quad-socket Opteron boards. I use the Chenming ATX-801F (Tel: 510-429-3882). The price was around $200 and the SuperMicro quad G34 boards fit (i.e H8QGi-F). If you plan on using a regular ATX power supply, you need to ask for the optional back plate – it is not sent by default.

http://www.chenmingusa.com/Fileserver.html

After the case problem, you have a heatsink/fan problem. I use the Dynatron A6. It is loud. At 100% load it sounds like a hairdryer. There is a new one from Noctua - model U9DO A3. That one should be quieter.

I talk more about this matter here:
http://www.amdzone.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=137623&p=200697#p181156

Back