• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

game project, models form another game?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zantal

question is simple

we are doing a little game demo, but our "artists" didn't made the models we wanted (they made cars and other stuff)

although we wanted to do an easy game in the space, so we need spaceships

can we take models from another game just for a demo? or will we have trouble with some laws ?

I don't know about laws, but using their work without their permission isn't a good idea. You are just asking for trouble.

First you need to ask them for permission and it is best to keep the email if them saying yes or no. http://www.smashingapps.com/2010/02...ay-visit-to-get-or-create-free-3d-models.html may be something to look at, some of the sites there last I checked did indeed of spaceships. We had made a private server from a game that was closed from 4 years and had to pull the models and hack the client to work again. After we were done we asked for permission to run it and we were allowed to. No clue why we did not ask before hand :)

I hand made a small game using those models and a small engine but the networking code I tried to make sucked and I dumped it in the trash :)

First you need to ask them for permission and it is best to keep the email if them saying yes or no. http://www.smashingapps.com/2010/02...ay-visit-to-get-or-create-free-3d-models.html may be something to look at, some of the sites there last I checked did indeed of spaceships. We had made a private server from a game that was closed from 4 years and had to pull the models and hack the client to work again. After we were done we asked for permission to run it and we were allowed to. No clue why we did not ask before hand :)

I hand made a small game using those models and a small engine but the networking code I tried to make sucked and I dumped it in the trash :)

we have yet to start making the networking code, i suppose we will start screaming when we do =)

thanks for the tip btw, going to ask for permission

Back