• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie OC Alert :) Please assist

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Apocalypze

Registered
I used the OC guide from overclockers.com. Good guide for the newbies like me.

Please see screenshots. My first time OCing, can you give me any advice on what I can do to get more out of my OC.

I would like to get another .2 ghz out of my i7-975 and I feel like I can get more out of my memory (Kingston DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory)

If anyone out there has OC'ed a i7-975 on a GA-X58A-UD5 board, please post your BIOS settings, will be appreciated.

Attachments

• OC-Mem (484x492).jpg
    OC-Mem (484x492).jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1255 (640x478).jpg
    IMG_1255 (640x478).jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1257 (640x478).jpg
    IMG_1257 (640x478).jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 70
  • OC-CPU (1000x434).jpg
    OC-CPU (1000x434).jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
I have never gained much by cranking the IOH core voltage just seems to heat up the mobo cooler. I would suspect that you are on water, and hence would say you arent going to get another 2ghz from your chip. I would shoot for a max of 5ghz unless going sub zero on cooling. you are most likely going to need more cpu voltage to get much farther than you have right now also.

My suggestion is to drop IOH volts to 1.18 or so bring cpu volts to 1.4-1.45 and drop your mem speed and just see how far the chip will go, and watch your voltages under load when doing so. and report back.

Results

Ok I dropped the IOH voltage. Upped the Core 1.4. Dropped mem to 133. Was able to get 4.2 ghz to boot to windows, but not stable running Prime 95 :(

So I backed it down to 4.1 and was stable with Prime95. This may be my limit :(

I have never gained much by cranking the IOH core voltage just seems to heat up the mobo cooler. I would suspect that you are on water, and hence would say you arent going to get another 2ghz from your chip. I would shoot for a max of 5ghz unless going sub zero on cooling. you are most likely going to need more cpu voltage to get much farther than you have right now also.

My suggestion is to drop IOH volts to 1.18 or so bring cpu volts to 1.4-1.45 and drop your mem speed and just see how far the chip will go, and watch your voltages under load when doing so. and report back.

He wants to get 200mhz more out of his CPU so it would run @ 4,2ghz, I bet he knows he isnt going to hit 6ghz on water :D .
I also misunderstood it, but I got it after reading what he wrote again.

Back