• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is 90C too hot under overclocked load?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nuOCer

Registered
Realtemp says my CPU is 90C after about 10 minutes of sp2004 with lage fft, I also have a ThermalRight Ultra Extreme 120 cooler and my Vcore is 1.344 in CPUz.

Is large fft the right stability test setting?

We need a lot more than temps to give an answer (system specs, etc).

i7 930
Gigabyte Ga-x58a-ud5
enermax galaxy evo
gskill trident 2000 9-9-9-24
2 gigabyte gtx 460 sli

is there anything else that would help make a judgement on the temps?, excuse my ignorance I'm not that familiar with overclocking.

the case is a HAF932 with the stock fans it comes with, Thanks for your help by the way.

Forgot to ask, how fast are you running that processor and what fans are you using on the heatsink? Either way, 90c is very high for large FFT (which doesn't stress as much as small FFT). I would suggest looking at your mount for the heatsink to make sure that it is making proper contact. Another thing to try is remove the side panel off the case to see how much temps drop.

really? I was under the impression large fft was the hardest (hottest) test.
is it possible I put too much arctic silver? can it throw off the temps that much? do most TRUE users have way lower temps?

i'm running at 3.99 ghz and the fan that is on the heatsink is the one that came with it, it's a ThermalRight.

It is also summer time... in a few months that OC might be easy to accomplish...

90C is too hot IMHO for Large FFT load...

TRUE is notorious for needing 5-20 remountings to get it right. Dont use too much TIM and get some high pressure fans.

Too much or too little can cause issues. Too little means there isn't enough contact area between the processor and heatsink. Too much and it starts acting as an insulator since it is so thick.

I'm running a TRUE with a QX9650 under it (quad core, 4.0ghz, 1.42v) and I hit 60c with small FFT's. On that, I'm running dual Panaflo fans that are undervolted so they are basically silent.

well the top of my heatsink is not warm at all, does that mean it's not making proper contact?

With the high surface area of the heatsink, that isn't a good indicator. You also never answered how fast your processor is running.

I believe I said 3.99 ghz (190 x 21) in one of my previous replies.

Missed that. I still go with "that is too high". If you know how to take pictures of something up close, snap some shots of your processor and heatsink after you remove the heatsink. Don't bother posting blurry pictures, we can't tell anything from that.

Don't forget my "remove the side" idea.

I did remove the side panel. The test crashed shortly thereafter. The side fan on the HAF932 was probably helping rather than hurting.

are you saying I should take pictures of how much arctic silver I used on the sink and processor?

one question , how do I upload clear images if it won't let me upload jpegs over 293 kb?

use an image host. (photobucket,imgshack etc)
And taking the side panel off on a modern well designed case will usually hurt temps. FYI (I could crack the sidepanel on my NZXT zero 1/4 inch and watch CPU temps rise 5degrees...)

On a POS case... taking the side panel off will help.

well I uploaded the pictures they are under "diagnose computer problem" album. Are they clear enough? how would you find the files by the way? I've never used photobucket.

Back